Cram for Exam Vol 4 Question 10 - 4-Phase Systems and Polyphase Systems with more than 3 phases

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akyip

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm working on Cram for Exam Vol 4, and one of the problems is Question 10, regarding a balanced four-phase system.

Unlike basic 3-phase systems, I am not quite as familiar with polyphase systems above 3 phases.

This question has a balanced 4-phase source feeding a balanced 4-phase load where each load is connected line to neutral.

I understand that the load connected line to neutral is pretty much analogous to a 3-phase Y load. Line current = Phase current. And from what I think I understand, each phase is separated by 90 degrees, because 360 divided by number of phases = 360 degrees / 4 phases = 90 degrees per phase.

But what I'm not quite grasping is how to solve for the line to line voltage in terms of the phase or line-to-neutral voltage for systems with over 3 phases.

In this particular question (question 10 from Cram for Exam Vol 4), V phase = V line / √2. How are these voltages derived? The only thing I understand so far is that V phase = V LN, since the loads are connected line to neutral.

And is there a specific pattern for systems over 3 phases? E.g. each phase spans from 360 degrees divided by number of phases, etc?

Thanks for any insight on this!

I think I just figured out the answer to my question about line voltage for a 4-phase system.

Using basic phasor addition, for the line-to-line voltage between two adjacent voltage phases:

V LL = V LN <0 + V LN <90 = 1.414 V LN <45

Magnitude only: V LN = V phase = V LL / 1.414 = V LL / √2

Is that correct? And I should be able to apply the same basic phasor addition logic for higher-phase systems (e.g. 4-phase, 5-phase), right? 

Hi guys,

I'm working on Cram for Exam Vol 4, and one of the problems is Question 10, regarding a balanced four-phase system.

Unlike basic 3-phase systems, I am not quite as familiar with polyphase systems above 3 phases.

This question has a balanced 4-phase source feeding a balanced 4-phase load where each load is connected line to neutral.

I understand that the load connected line to neutral is pretty much analogous to a 3-phase Y load. Line current = Phase current. And from what I think I understand, each phase is separated by 90 degrees, because 360 divided by number of phases = 360 degrees / 4 phases = 90 degrees per phase.

But what I'm not quite grasping is how to solve for the line to line voltage in terms of the phase or line-to-neutral voltage for systems with over 3 phases.

In this particular question (question 10 from Cram for Exam Vol 4), V phase = V line / √2. How are these voltages derived? The only thing I understand so far is that V phase = V LN, since the loads are connected line to neutral.

And is there a specific pattern for systems over 3 phases? E.g. each phase spans from 360 degrees divided by number of phases, etc?

Thanks for any insight on this!
I haven't seen the Cram Vol.4  yet but this is my personal explanation.

If you know where the square root of three and 30 degree phase shift came from in a 3 phase balanced system, you will be able to derive any polyphase balanced system.

As you mentioned above, each phase is separated by 90 degrees since its 360/4 = 90 degrees. So, if you need to find the line voltage, let's say Vab. So,.

Vab=Van-Vbn = (V<0) - (V<-90) = V(square root of 2 <45)  , where V is the per phase voltage magnitude.

Therefore ,the the line voltage for a 4 phase balanced system is square root of 2 larger than the phase voltage with 45 degrees phase shift.

I think I just figured out the answer to my question about line voltage for a 4-phase system.

Using basic phasor addition, for the line-to-line voltage between two adjacent voltage phases:

V LL = V LN <0 + V LN <90 = 1.414 V LN <45

Magnitude only: V LN = V phase = V LL / 1.414 = V LL / √2

Is that correct? And I should be able to apply the same basic phasor addition logic for higher-phase systems (e.g. 4-phase, 5-phase), right? 
Yes that is correct. But if you just recognize that with four phases you have 90 degree separation you just could use pythagoras theorem. With both sides of a right triangle equal to each other the hypotenuse will be sqrt[2] larger than one side. 

Assume each voltage vector is magnitude of 1 we would have:
hypotenuse=sqrt(1^2+1^2)  

V ph LL = 1/0 - 1/ 360/ph

V3 = 1/0 - 1/120

V4 = 1/0 - 1/90

Back