Recommendations for Civil 3D courses??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WtrEng2019

Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently working as an engineer in the water/wastewater field. My company uses drafters for almost all of our drawings so I am way out of practice with my own drafting skills. Aside from making my own process flow diagrams in Microstation and occasionally making small changes with AutoCAD, I am rarely using any drafting programs. I am concerned that if I ever switch companies I might have a hard time getting a job without drafting skills. Are there any courses/videos/tutorials that people in the Civil industry would recommend I complete? At this time I think Civil 3D would be the best use of my time. Sounds like Microstation is no longer that common for 3D modeling. Open to all suggestions!

For autocad I would recommend you break it down by topic, alignments, pipe networks, feature lines, corridors, grading tools, surfaces etc, then you can find a good introductory videos on youtube or lots of discussions on each topic and how to's, the autocad help menu is also informative. I would highly recommend utilizing the drafters you have because they have studied the software, learn from them as much about drafting as you can. I currently work for a company with no drafters, not as efficient as if we had them in drawing. 

Hello!

I am currently working as an engineer in the water/wastewater field. My company uses drafters for almost all of our drawings so I am way out of practice with my own drafting skills. Aside from making my own process flow diagrams in Microstation and occasionally making small changes with AutoCAD, I am rarely using any drafting programs. I am concerned that if I ever switch companies I might have a hard time getting a job without drafting skills. Are there any courses/videos/tutorials that people in the Civil industry would recommend I complete? At this time I think Civil 3D would be the best use of my time. Sounds like Microstation is no longer that common for 3D modeling. Open to all suggestions!
I was going to post a very similar message. Looking to understand Civil 3d a little better as it is a slow time of year and think it would be great to help out from time to time so not to burn out designers and EIT's when it is busy around the office. I wish there was a virtual class that a person could sign up for to work on small projects during their own time. 

Check LinkedIn Learning.  It is formerly Lynda.com, and there are many series to watch. 

Back