CA PE Application - Supervisor Retiring

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funnpun

Reaction score
My two years of experience will be up February 2021. My boss, whom I have been with for the past ~1.5 years, will be retiring in November 2020. Can he still be a reference for my Civil PE application? Does he need to keep his license active after he retires?

@CAPLS, do you have any insight into this?

@Funnpun, is there anyone else at your current place who you could use instead of your current boss, who is retiring?

@leggo PE If the criteria is just someone that has reviewed the plans that I produced, I may have another. However, I would prefer my current boss to be one of the references since he is more familiar with what I've done.

My two years of experience will be up February 2021. My boss, whom I have been with for the past ~1.5 years, will be retiring in November 2020. Can he still be a reference for my Civil PE application? Does he need to keep his license active after he retires?
Yes, your current boss should absolutely be a reference for you since he is the license that was in responsible charge of the work experience that you are claiming.  As long as his license was active during the dates listed on that specific engagement/reference form.

Yes, your current boss should absolutely be a reference for you since he is the license that was in responsible charge of the work experience that you are claiming.  As long as his license was active during the dates listed on that specific engagement/reference form.
So by this metric, it would seem that your boss would need to keep his license active through when you are applying.

Additionally, @Funnpun, who will be in responsible charge of your work after your direct supervisor retires? I would think you would want that person to be one of your references, too.

Theoretically, depending on your work experience, your references should be in responsible charge over the time frame that is the experience you are listing on your application. Of course, to get to the four references you need, some of them may not.

I hope this makes sense!

So by this metric, it would seem that your boss would need to keep his license active through when you are applying.

Additionally, @Funnpun, who will be in responsible charge of your work after your direct supervisor retires? I would think you would want that person to be one of your references, too.

Theoretically, depending on your work experience, your references should be in responsible charge over the time frame that is the experience you are listing on your application. Of course, to get to the four references you need, some of them may not.

I hope this makes sense!
No, not quite.  The reference would only need to maintain his license in active status for the months (dates) claimed under him on the form.  When the reference changes his license status to "Retired" officially after those states dates has no bearing on the months claimed.  Of course, all of this is making the assumption that the reference is officially changing his license status to "Retired" with the California Board.  If the boss is just simply retiring from the company, that is not relevant.

I hope this makes sense!
I will most likely be transferring to another department in October 2020, so I'm not sure if my boss's successor can be my reference. However, I do plan on asking my next supervisor to be one of my references.

No, not quite.  The reference would only need to maintain his license in active status for the months (dates) claimed under him on the form.  When the reference changes his license status to "Retired" officially after those states dates has no bearing on the months claimed.  Of course, all of this is making the assumption that the reference is officially changing his license status to "Retired" with the California Board.  If the boss is just simply retiring from the company, that is not relevant.
Even if my boss retires, he also has the option to keep his license active, correct?

I will most likely be transferring to another department in October 2020, so I'm not sure if my boss's successor can be my reference. However, I do plan on asking my next supervisor to be one of my references.

Even if my boss retires, he also has the option to keep his license active, correct?
Correct.  License status with the licensing board is the official status regardless of what transpires with actual work or employer.

Back