NESC - Best way to navigate this?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akyip

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to navigate the NESC for answering NESC questions. For some reason to me, navigating the NESC is more difficult compared to the NEC and NFPA 70E. This shouldn't be that big a deal since there would only be a few NESC questions, but still I want to know if there are any pointers for quickly and efficiently navigating the NESC book to quickly answer NESC exam questions. 

The best I can is use the index to find whatever topic I need for the question, and then try to find whatever I need to answer the question. I've been highlighting certain sections based on what I see from practice PE exams. Still, does anyone have any pointers for shortcutting (lack of a better word) through the NESC for NESC questions? E.G. for topic so-and-so, immediately refer to section so-and-so.

It's probably a silly and stupid question, but I just have some difficulty efficiently using the NESC compared to say the NEC or NFPA.

Thanks for any help!

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to navigate the NESC for answering NESC questions. For some reason to me, navigating the NESC is more difficult compared to the NEC and NFPA 70E. This shouldn't be that big a deal since there would only be a few NESC questions, but still I want to know if there are any pointers for quickly and efficiently navigating the NESC book to quickly answer NESC exam questions. 

The best I can is use the index to find whatever topic I need for the question, and then try to find whatever I need to answer the question. I've been highlighting certain sections based on what I see from practice PE exams. Still, does anyone have any pointers for shortcutting (lack of a better word) through the NESC for NESC questions? E.G. for topic so-and-so, immediately refer to section so-and-so.

It's probably a silly and stupid question, but I just have some difficulty efficiently using the NESC compared to say the NEC or NFPA.

Thanks for any help!
Definitely not a silly and stupid question. I too found it a bit confusing as I am not familiar with the NESC and just looked at it for some practice problems and it was very difficult to navigate compared to NFPA 70 and 70E. Maybe it was the way the problems were worded in the problems when it mentioned "line" and didn't specify if it was an underground or overhead line.

Anyway, I found the table of contents to be helpful as well in some questions where key terms about the question didn't show in the index but you could identify the category. The parts given are as follows based on my understanding:

• Part 0 definitions, introduction, grounding
  • Part 1 General Safety for Electrical Equipment and Supply Stations
  • Part 2 Overhead Lines
  • Part 3 Undergound Lines
  • Part 4 General Safety Measures for Workers (Employees)
The table of contents goes into a lot more detail than that and lists each paragraph in the sections of each part. For example it will give you Part 4, Section 442. Switching Control Procedures, G. Repeating oral messages. I hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the pages I've tabbed for the 2017 NESC:

Section 9, Page 30 - Grounding Electrodes

Section 111C, Page 44 - Illumination Levels

Section 140, Page 66 - Storage Batteries

Section 232, Page 96 - Overhead Lines/Sag

Section 233, Page 122 - Vertical Clearances

Section 341, Page 260 - Cable in Underground Structures (such as manholes and vaults)

Section 352B, Page 266 - Direct Burial

I find myself in an opposite corner actually, I use the NESC every day but I have never seen the NEC /NFPA until I started studying for this exam; needless to say it was an eye opener.

I think the tips above are definitely great sections, nothing of value from me to add.

It's so strange that the two codes are supposed to be regulations for an entire system, but they are formatted differently and are published and edited by two different organizations. Also interesting that the more critical part of generation/distribution is significantly less than the consumer side. 

Here are the pages I've tabbed for the 2017 NESC:

Section 9, Page 30 - Grounding Electrodes

Section 111C, Page 44 - Illumination Levels

Section 140, Page 66 - Storage Batteries

Section 232, Page 96 - Overhead Lines/Sag

Section 233, Page 122 - Vertical Clearances

Section 341, Page 260 - Cable in Underground Structures (such as manholes and vaults)

Section 352B, Page 266 - Direct Burial

thank-you-sir.jpg

Back