Slope erosion

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayJay

Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking for advice on how to stop this erosion on a small beach front property I purchased. I did a lot of research online and there’s a couple techniques to solve this. I was thinking of using matting or chain link fence spiked into the side of the hill and using field grass sods native to the area spiked into that. Would I have to sod the entire side of the embankment (15’x 200’) or will 6-8’ down suffice?
My other option I was looking at was stepping the embankment, two 8’ sections and then sodding it.
Appreciate any advice you may have.

840F3BA5-9214-40D5-A704-96C1F973F3FE.jpeg

9C399461-BACA-4F35-B8F3-82D5C0C42C67.jpeg

I’ll have to get that number, but the land is 300’ deep. So there should be plenty of room to build.

I’ll have to get that number, but the land is 300’ deep. So there should be plenty of room to build.
Cool! Just curious, What's the zoning of your property is it already approved for hotel zone? 

Unfortunately nature is going to do what it does best. The most effective way of erosion protection would be a rock facing like rip rap, with a backing of smaller material behind it like stone to keep the sand/soil from getting sucked out into the big voids and wash out. 

Make sure you get regulatory approval before doing anything to the cost like. 

Also look at historical ariel photos. You might see that the natural coast line comes and goes throughout the decades. 

Retaining walls or rip rap seem like the best options.

I agree with jijir83

Prior to put the riprap , riprap should always be underlain by a filter material consisting of granular material or a nonwoven geotextile fabric to prevent underlying soil from piping through the riprap stone. 

Last edited by a moderator:
On the contrary, I started construction with a fence. It is very important. That year we replaced our old wooden fence with a modern one made of profiled flooring and mesh. And of course I understood that a blind fence has its own characteristics and carries a number of consequences, and therefore we immediately tried to minimize them. Only from the side of the road they made a solid sheet, the gate was also made of profiled flooring, and then they let in a grid. But even on this short section, I understood what a fence made of profiled flooring means. But then we realized that we want a beautiful wooden fence from everlastgates.com and I didn't regret it at all.

Back