Finished my Survey Exam Today

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IAMNOTAPEYET

Reaction score
I took my Survey exam today. out of the 55 questions, I think i got at least half of it and about 10 not very sure and purely guessed the rest. Not sure if this is enough.  Questions

1. When will I get the result?

2. What is the passing rate and score for the last few quarters? 

3. Due to the Covid 19, for the remaining year, the seismic test can only have 1 try? Should I take it early?

4. I have 0 background on the seismic. How long should I study for it. (I studied for about 100 hours for the 8 hours and 80 hours for the Survey).  

I took my Survey exam today. out of the 55 questions, I think i got at least half of it and about 10 not very sure and purely guessed the rest. Not sure if this is enough.  Questions

1. When will I get the result?

2. What is the passing rate and score for the last few quarters? 

3. Due to the Covid 19, for the remaining year, the seismic test can only have 1 try? Should I take it early?

4. I have 0 background on the seismic. How long should I study for it. (I studied for about 100 hours for the 8 hours and 80 hours for the Survey).  

5. I am trying to buy the Hiner book. anyone has it for sale?

1. Mid August.

2. I think 55%-65% for surveying, depending on the quarter.

3. Take the seismic before December. The results always come mid-month after you take the exam. So if you take the exam in December, you won't get your results back until mid January. This means if you fail, you wouldn't be able to retake it until quarter 2 (April-June 2021).

4. I'm just starting to studying seismic as well but it seems more difficult so far.

5. You can buy it on the hiner website or find someone on here who is selling an old copy. Just make sure the one you get is up to date.

@IAMNOTAPEYET Can we take the exam only once this year? I am taking surveying exam next week. If I am not able to pass in that exam, can I retake it after 2-3 months? 

Is there a notice on the board's website or email where it says exam can be taken only once this year?

I took the seismic in February 2020 and results given March 12 at 2PM by email. Passed on the first time, phew. Studied using Hiner. And I didn't  study Civil Engineering in college. I already have a Mechanical PE.

I was scheduled for the 3/22/20 surveying exam but Prometrics was closed on 3/18 due to Covid. Rescheduled and took July 2. I thought the test was really tough and had to guess on the last ten. I studied really hard. I'll be bummed if I don't pass especially if they will not allow us to take it again until January 2021 (per the below notice). I don't have a good feeling- every step of the process was hard for me for whatever reason except for passing seismic on the first time.

I used CPESR but did not feel it fully prepared me (but liked the course), however, they did so some updates to the curriculum (after I took the test that I think could have helped😩)). I think the test is way too hard in the time given and not sure why they do that- just interpreting some of the questions is plain ridiculous in 2.5 min and then solve them.  I'm hoping that they lower the bar a few questions since you have to wear a mask, tests have been delayed, as well as offered less frequently- I doubt they will though.

I know it was hard times but I thought Prometrics and BPELSG communication was a little weak. The people are nice but their processes and rules are almost harder than the material.

just finished my seismic yesterday. REAL BAD. i guessed like 10 of them. i hope i can pass 

If you guessed on 10 and feel pretty confident on the rest, you should be ok. 
I felt the same way when I took the NCEES and seismic but surprisingly passed. I'm awaiting the Surveying- felt the same way that I bombed it too. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone, I gave my test on the 11th of last month and they informed me that there was a glitch in the Prometric results and I apparently failed. I did find the problems harder than I expected but felt it should have been good enough to pass. Can you guys please suggest how I can prepare better? I studied from Mansour and Quomo and tried some practice tests (120 practice problem series from PPI (they were old, 2011 edition) and found the problems in the exam harder (requiring more time, which is scarce).
There are so many practice resources (PPI, school of PE, Reza, Mansour, and EET). Which one would you guys recommend? Will appreciate the help. Thanks

Hello everyone, I gave my test on the 11th of last month and they informed me that there was a glitch in the Prometric results and I apparently failed. I did find the problems harder than I expected but felt it should have been good enough to pass. Can you guys please suggest how I can prepare better? I studied from Mansour and Quomo and tried some practice tests (120 practice problem series from PPI (they were old, 2011 edition) and found the problems in the exam harder (requiring more time, which is scarce).
There are so many practice resources (PPI, school of PE, Reza, Mansour, and EET). Which one would you guys recommend? Will appreciate the help. Thanks
There was a glitch in the February 22, 2021 Week results as well for surveying. I found out last night.

Back