Taking Surveying Exam in July

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. RaiderNutt

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I’m scheduled to take the surveying exam in July. I’m kinda nervous about it; I used EET as a prep course, watched all the videos, completed all the problems and did the CBT practice exams. I think I feel prepared but I wanted to ask if anyone who has or is taking the exam felt or feel EET coursework was/is enough to pass the exam? Any advice on how to approach the exam or feedback from their experience much appreciated. Thanks

Depending how much time you have before your exam, you might give the PE Prepared practice exam a look ([SIZE=11pt]https://www.amazon.com/dp/1796826294/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Q.o.Eb9D6HBXN). I used the 8-hour versions of these practice tests in my preparation for the 8-hour exam, and am now using the Survey version. Admittedly they are less difficult than the actual exam, but they provide good practice for test taking strategy/time efficiency. And it never hurts to go through more practice problems! [/SIZE]

My application just got cleared by the board.

Even I am wondering as to what is the best prep material for Surveying. It would be great if anyone who took tests recently can pitch-in. 

Thanks @PE_Candidate. My exam is on the 10th but I’ll look and see if amazon prime will deliver in a day or two. Have you heard anything about EET or use it for your surveying study? @wannabe_PE yes, it would be nice to hear thoughts from recent test takers. I am curious on what others have to say about EET. 

Yeah I used some of the EET stuff in my studies. I took the exam yesterday and can say that the EET material pretty well covers what I saw on the exam. As far as difficulty goes, the questions were not too far off from what was in the PE Prepared practice exam. That being said, I think the most important thing will be how fast you can get through the exam. A good test taking strategy is absolutely critical, as you will not have enough time if you get caught up on lengthier problems. Take a few full 2.5 hour practice exams and work out a test strategy that works best for you.

I bought two book from 20 years ago. studied and took the test yesterday. DONT study for Public Land and PE vs Land surveyor.  dont spend too much time on one question.  I almost couldn't finish on time

@PE_Candidate thanks for your feedback. I’ve taken the practice exams from EET and I’ve done ok with those. I’m still gonna review some areas and retake the exams and hope that it works out for me. I hope you pass your exam!

Just took my surveying exam yesterday. Any idea of when results will come out? What’s considered a passing score?
They don't publicize "passing scores", although if you don't pass, you'll typically get a breakdown of the topics you'd need to work on etc. 

Results usually come out within the second or third week of the month, but the exact day varies.

They don't publicize "passing scores", although if you don't pass, you'll typically get a breakdown of the topics you'd need to work on etc. 

Results usually come out within the second or third week of the month, but the exact day varies.
Thanks for the info. I just took my seismic exam today, so I hope I get both results at the same time.

Hi, 

How is the CPESR course for surveying exam? Is the course sufficient? I dont have time for other practice exams as my exam is in a week.

I took the CPESR course last year but wasn't able to take the exam due to personal reasons. I was able to retake the course for free and just took the survey exam this week. I think it went well! The manual and videos were updated like a month ago. Videos helped a lot to understand concepts (I'm water). Make sure you take all the practice tests! Important! There were lots of questions that provide extra info to confuse you. 

I would recommend the course, especially if you are in a time crunch as the videos are to the point and highly edited unlike the live webinar courses that have a lot of "fluff" time. 

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the CPESR course last year but wasn't able to take the exam due to personal reasons. I was able to retake the course for free and just took the survey exam this week. I think it went well! The manual and videos were updated like a month ago. Videos helped a lot to understand concepts (I'm water). Make sure you take all the practice tests! Important! There were lots of questions that provide extra info to confuse you. There was a good amount of volume questions too. 

I would recommend the course, especially if you are in a time crunch as the videos are to the point and highly edited unlike the live webinar courses that have a lot of "fluff" time. 

Good luck!
Thanks for your response and All the Best for your result. 

Is there a way to print practice exam questions and solutions from CPESR course?

Were the exam questions harder than CPESR practise exam questions?

Thank you!

I don't think so. The other courses (I've basically taken them all at this point) I took did not provide it either so I don't think it's typical. I think only the reza mahallati workbook has a printed practice exam but it's only 1. There are a good amount of questions and examples in the CPESR manual, however, and lots of space to add other notes if needed. I guess you could take screen shots. But I barely had time to flip through the manual during the exam and only really used it for say 30-40% of the exam.

I would say about the same, especially the last two practice tests. But there is a luck component to it as well. I don't think the exam is perfectly following the test plan percentages so I felt you get a lot more of one type of question than others, more than what the test plan states. So if you are better in questions that they happen to emphasize on that particular exam, you got lucky. Make sure you don't get stuck on any one question as I found lots of easy questions towards the end of the test. The instructor goes over how to take the test in the video which was helpful.

Thank you!

I don't think so. The other courses (I've basically taken them all at this point) I took did not provide it either so I don't think it's typical. I think only the reza mahallati workbook has a printed practice exam but it's only 1. There are a good amount of questions and examples in the CPESR manual, however, and lots of space to add other notes if needed. I guess you could take screen shots. But I barely had time to flip through the manual during the exam and only really used it for say 30-40% of the exam.

I would say about the same, especially the last two practice tests. But there is a luck component to it as well. I don't think the exam is perfectly following the test plan percentages so I felt you get a lot more of one type of question than others, more than what the test plan states. So if you are better in questions that they happen to emphasize on that particular exam, you got lucky. Make sure you don't get stuck on any one question as I found lots of easy questions towards the end of the test. The instructor goes over how to take the test in the video which was helpful.
Thanks a lot for the info. 

Back