Last 2 quarters of the year have been combined. You can only test once.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbray241

Reaction score
From the prometric website: 

* Due to the temporary closure of the exam sites in parts of Quarter 1 and Quarter 2 as a result of Covid-19, a one-time modification is being made to the testing availability for the remainder of 2020. Quarters 3 and 4 will be merged into one six-month window to accommodate all eligible candidates.

**Candidates are eligible to test only once during the six-month window.

So if you were planning on taking one test in Q3 and another in Q4, you might out of luck. Also if you, like me, were planning to take an exam in August, see the results in September, and decide whether you need to retake in Q4, you might also be out of luck.

The CA Board chose to instruct Prometric to do this only for the second half of 2020 primarily since the testing centers are limited in capacity and the Board was concerned about everyone having at least one opportunity to test during the remainder of the year, especially when many other clients also have their candidates testing at these centers too. Make the best use of your opportunity and prepare well. 

From the prometric website: 

* Due to the temporary closure of the exam sites in parts of Quarter 1 and Quarter 2 as a result of Covid-19, a one-time modification is being made to the testing availability for the remainder of 2020. Quarters 3 and 4 will be merged into one six-month window to accommodate all eligible candidates.

**Candidates are eligible to test only once during the six-month window.

So if you were planning on taking one test in Q3 and another in Q4, you might out of luck. Also if you, like me, were planning to take an exam in August, see the results in September, and decide whether you need to retake in Q4, you might also be out of luck.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by being out of luck on taking one test in Q3 and another in Q4? It sounds like folks will be given an ATT for each exam (seismic and surveying) that is good for July through December. The way I read the documents on Prometric's website, you will be given the opportunity to take each exam (seismic and surveying) ONCE in the six month window. You could schedule one in Q3 and the other in Q4 if you'd like. Am I missing something?

I am still waiting on my ATT after filing my application in March. This change may give me some extra time to study and get to a good spot before taking the tests.

Thanks!

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by being out of luck on taking one test in Q3 and another in Q4? It sounds like folks will be given an ATT for each exam (seismic and surveying) that is good for July through December. The way I read the documents on Prometric's website, you will be given the opportunity to take each exam (seismic and surveying) ONCE in the six month window. You could schedule one in Q3 and the other in Q4 if you'd like. Am I missing something?

I am still waiting on my ATT after filing my application in March. This change may give me some extra time to study and get to a good spot before taking the tests.

Thanks!
Good point. I didn't read it that way but you might be right. Maybe CAPLS could clarify?

Thanks!
I believe what the OP was stating that in "normal times", an applicant being approved to take the CA civil exams in Q3 could potentially have time to take that exam early in the quarterly cycle, receive a failing result, and still have time to submit a Retake form to the CA Board to retest in Q4.  However, that wouldn't be possible since all exam results from Q3 are released sometime in Mid October so you would be submitting a ReTake form for testing in the following Q1.

I don't believe you're missing anything and totally understood the OP's first point.

Edit:  Sorry, I was thinking of other exam stuff.  The OP is correct that since the results for each month are generally released middle of the following month, there is potential that someone could take an exam early in the quarterly cycle (say July), receive a fail result in mid-August, and then have time to submit a ReTake form by the end of Q3 to retest again in Q4.  This one-time change by the Board to combine Q3 and Q4 eliminates that possibility because of the reason I explained in my response yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back