October 2020 Exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUniverse

Reaction score
What is everyone’s thoughts on wether or not the October 2020 pencil and paper exams will be canceled? I was scheduled to take the April 2020 Transportation exam and I know I need to start studying for the October exam next month but I just don’t know how my brain would take it if the exam got canceled again. I can’t imagine going through that again lol. What are everyone’s thoughts? Does anyone have any insight on if we will be able to sit for the exam in October? 

NCEES claims that the October exams are still happening. My advice is that anyone who plans to take the test in October should study as if the exam will happen in October. At the same time, they should avoid getting too emotionally attached to the October date should the exam be cancelled again.

If you don't want to deal with the potential stress of going through another cancellation then you should consider planning to take the exam in April 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pennsylvania has this red/yellow/green system of limitations in place for to the pandemic, and even in the green phase planned gatherings of 250 people or more are restricted. Only time will tell if testing sites will have the number of examinees limited before shuffling them off to another site. Personally, I have my doubts. 

Pennsylvania has this red/yellow/green system of limitations in place for to the pandemic, and even in the green phase planned gatherings of 250 people or more are restricted. Only time will tell if testing sites will have the number of examinees limited before shuffling them off to another site. Personally, I have my doubts. 
Same.

I'm pretty gun shy right now. No clue what I'm going to do. I know I need to start studying but I'm still pretty butt hurt over what happened in March. I have a stack of references beside my bed that I keep telling myself I'm going to pick up and start reading but I never actually make it happen. Life has been a little crazy lately. My husband and I are busier now than than we were when we had to commute to work everyday!

Does anyone think the code references will be updated if Oct2020 was cancelled to Apr2021? 
They routinely update the code references. You should look at the exam specifications to see what subject matter and codes are applicable for the upcoming exam.

https://ncees.org/engineering/pe/

Click on your exam in the listing on the above page. Then click on exam specifications.

NCEES mentioned that it will be a two day exam event. 

This might help in separating the crowds.

Thursday, October 22, 2020
Civil: Geotechnical
Civil: Transportation
Civil: Water Resources and Environmental
SE Vertical Forces Bridges
SE Vertical Forces Buildings

Friday, October 23, 2020
Agricultural and Biological Engineering
Architectural Engineering
Civil: Construction
Civil: Structural
Control Systems
Electrical and Computer: Computer Engineering
Electrical and Computer: Electronics, Controls, and Communications
Electrical and Computer: Power
Metallurgical and Materials
Mining and Mineral Processing
Naval Architecture and Marine
SE Lateral Forces Bridges
SE Lateral Forces Buildings

https://ncees.org/news/

Last edited by a moderator:
NCEES announced that beginning Jan. 2021 electrical power would convert to CBT. So it looks like my fate has been determined. I'll be taking it this October. I really want to pass this thing with all by references that I've purchased over the years,

I admit with every state being different in terms of what is considered a large gathering I would hate to be the scheduler trying to plan all this out...  

best of luck to all of you in limbo!

NCEES mentioned that it will be a two day exam event. 

This might help in separating the crowds.

Thursday, October 22, 2020
Civil: Geotechnical
Civil: Transportation
Civil: Water Resources and Environmental
SE Vertical Forces Bridges
SE Vertical Forces Buildings

Friday, October 23, 2020
Agricultural and Biological Engineering
Architectural Engineering
Civil: Construction
Civil: Structural
Control Systems
Electrical and Computer: Computer Engineering
Electrical and Computer: Electronics, Controls, and Communications
Electrical and Computer: Power
Metallurgical and Materials
Mining and Mineral Processing
Naval Architecture and Marine
SE Lateral Forces Bridges
SE Lateral Forces Buildings

https://ncees.org/news/
Bet thing about this is I don't have to give up my Saturday, AND I get two days off work paid!

Been trying to keep up the momentum but it is hard especially seeing some states on the rise.  We are doing OK here in MA for the time being.... Does anyone see a possibility where NCEES offers the exam to people in some states but not others? I can't see them doing it unless they can offer in all 50 states.

I registered for my exam today and noticed "board approval pending" .  I got my approval from board on Jan 2019.  Since NCEES center is closed I reached out to them through chat service and  the person told me it doesn't show on NCEES system. I already took exam on April 2019 and failed.  The person on the chat asked me to send an email to board asking to update the NCEES. I don' understand how board communicates with NCEES. I sent the email to board. 

P.S: I was actually surprised to see the rudeness of the person on the chat. Person (Dallas) just kept closing the chat improperly and closed it again and again when i was trying to ask more questions. How they get job to handle customer service with that attitude and we have to pay $100 just for admin fee.   

Back