2020 Engineerboards Salary Survey

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in the "field" you can highlight the cells, click on Data, Data Validation and then you type in the fields for electrical (I just dont know what they all are right of hand)

Trying to make most of them drop down menus.

It would be nice if we could lock it down except for the dorp down menus and maybe locations - someone deleted all the Civil data from 2019 - 

I think there should be an "other" option for all the field drop downs. There's could always be something niche that not's covered. 

Also I assume people could request additions here.

Assuming there are no objections, then I updated the Mechanic tab. Hopefully, I didn't go too granular

Last edited by a moderator:
How should an hourly employee fill this out? Maybe have an hourly rate column? At my company, only the shareholders are salaried (small private firm). Also, a 'company size' column may be interesting as well.

How should an hourly employee fill this out? Maybe have an hourly rate column? At my company, only the shareholders are salaried (small private firm). Also, a 'company size' column may be interesting as well.
Just multiple your hourly rate * 40 * 52 to get a base salary. Don't include overtime or anything like that.

I wish there was a way to embed the actual spreadsheet into the post someway - Ive been looking through new items in the invision market place but not seeing anything..

Question to my EE power peeps, i will be completing my masters next year, and will be getting my PE certification at the same time (Illinois decoupled so done with the test). With these two new pieces of paper, should i be expecting a salary bump? Does anyone have experience with getting both? I just want to know if i should be expecting any benefit from these besides my own feeling of accomplishment. Thanks!

Question to my EE power peeps, i will be completing my masters next year, and will be getting my PE certification at the same time (Illinois decoupled so done with the test). With these two new pieces of paper, should i be expecting a salary bump? Does anyone have experience with getting both? I just want to know if i should be expecting any benefit from these besides my own feeling of accomplishment. Thanks!
I think it most depends on the industry and each individual company. It certainly does not hurt to get either one. Even if there is not much financial gain, there is the gain of knowledge and experience. Even if that is only a little applicable to what is learned in schooling and in the PE specifications does not exactly correlate to what everyone does. For instance, I had no idea what short circuit ratings were before studying for the PE.

That being said, I have definitely heard many others do receive financial benefits from achieving these. In some cases it is not as a clear as a company saying we will pay you X amount in bonus and/or X percent salary increase. I have also heard that in terms of negotiating a new career, those two things are in higher demand for engineers and will give you more negotiating power for a higher salary. Not to mention that some companies in my industry that are looking to pay big for an experienced engineer often require a PE at minimum. The company I work for does have a published one-time bonus for obtaining a PE, but nothing really published as far as salary increase.

I'm not EE, but I've worked in a few different industries. From what I've seen, the biggest companies (i.e. Fortune 500 type companies) don't give raises or bonuses for Master's degree; instead they consider a Master's degree equivalent to 2 additional years of work experience. So having a Master's makes you qualified for a promotion or for higher level positions earlier in your career. That seems to be a pretty standard way to handle it at big companies.

What you get for a PE is going to be completely dependent on company and industry, so I have no insight there since I'm in a different industry.

It all depends. I work for a Fortune 200 utility, and for EE they don't give a **** about PE or Masters. They do care about skin color, though....

It all depends. I work for a Fortune 200 utility, and for EE they don't give a **** about PE or Masters. They do care about skin color, though....
wow...  😮

Interesting stats here.  Some serious bonus out there.  I work for a big engineering firm and before that, another company in contract O&M and PM world.  Zero bonus.  

Two interesting charts from last year after compiling the completed responses. We have the most responses from the South East and West (aka California) regions of the US.

1616068083602.png

Last edited:
For reference to the first chart above, here is a cost of living map of the US with Hawaii, West, Mid Atlantic, and North East, and Alaska being the top 5 most expensve regions to live in (not in order) . Screenshot_20210318-092056_Chrome.jpg

Also adding the region reference map that I based the locations on.

united_states_regions_labeled.png

Back