April 2020 preparation for PE Civil Structural

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRCos

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am planning to take PE Civil Structural exam in April 2020. I am a repeat test taker. In October 2019 exam I got 19/40 in the Structural depth and an overall score of 46/80 as per NCEES diagnostic. At first, I’m giving a brief introduction to my educational background. Then I’m trying to analyze my NCEES diagnostic. I am not looking for any shortcut but a smart way to pass the exam. I am in quest of your valuable advice and recommendation to prepare for my April 2020 exam. Though quite long, I believe this thread will help colleagues (other examinees) to prepare for PE exam.

My background:

I am an international student enrolled in PhD (final year) program in a US university. My research area is Computational Mechanics mostly focusing on computational tool development for advanced materials, e.g. fiber composite. I did my Bachelor of engineering (Civil Engineering) in 2006.  After that I briefly worked as a structural engineer in my country of origin. Then I mostly focused on mechanics related research. As a foreign national I don’t have very good knowledge of using US codes used in design practice. I have never studied wood and masonry design in my home country. My university (at US) doesn’t offer those classes either. During October 2019 exam I was able to study thoroughly only for 2 weeks before the exam. Didn’t do any practice problem. As an obvious reason I failed.

Analysis of my PE exam diagnostic and April 2020 plan:

Looking at my NCEES diagnostic report I would say my performance in ‘Analysis of Structures: Forces and load effects’ is the only knowledge area where my performance was above average (7/10). I need your valuable guidance to improve following knowledge area:

1. Analysis of Structures: Loads and load application (4 pts.): In October 2019, I scored zero in this module. For April 2020, I am preparing this module using ASCE 7-10 and ASCE 37-14. I don’t want to miss these 4 points.
  2. Design and Details of Structures- Materials (5 pts.): In October 2019, I scored 3/5 in this module. For April 2020, only focusing on code specifications in AISC 360, ACI 318-14, NDS 2015 edition and TMS402. Any suggestions for finding specification of cold-formed steel?
  3. Design and Details of Structures-Component design (15 pts): In October 2019, I scored 7/15 in this module. I believe this is a vast but the most important part in the exam to make a difference. NCEES suggested outlines are here: Horizontal members (e.g., beams, slabs, diaphragms), Vertical members (e.g., columns, bearing walls, shear walls), Systems (e.g., trusses, braces, frames, composite construction), Connections (e.g., bearing, bolted, welded, embedded, anchored), Foundations (e.g., retaining walls, footings, combined footings, slabs, mats, piers, piles, caissons, drilled shafts). Any missing item on the NCEES spec you want me to be prepared based on your experience as a structural engineer.
  4. Codes and Construction- codes (4 pts.): During October 2019 I brought IBC, AISC, ACI 318 and ASCE 7-10. I scored 1/4 in this module. For April 2020, I am including OSHA 1910 and 1926. Will it be useful to bring PCI, AWS and AASHTO even if I haven’t read those codes at least once before exam?
  5. Codes and Construction- Temporary structures and other topics (2 pts.): This portion carries least amount of points for the Structural depth. In October 2019, I scored 1/2 in this module. NCEES mentions a very broad area for this item also. I am thinking if you could suggest any resource (book, website, video) for each topic. NCEES specified topics are here:
  • Special inspections
  •  Submittals
  • Formwork
  • Falsework and scaffolding
  • Shoring and reshoring
  • Concrete maturity and early strength evaluation
  • Bracing
  • Anchorage
  • OSHA regulations
  • [SIZE=11pt]Safety management[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Thanks in advance for any valuable suggestion.[/SIZE]

Hello –

I was a repeat test taker too before I passed my exam. I would recommend buying or borrowing all books to take to the exam. Since you are student you should be able to check out books from the library.

If you haven’t had wood or masonry I would buy a basic textbook and look at some basics and take the books with you to the exam. I would also recommend getting familiar with the NDS.

I also bought an OSHA book - I thought if I can look up a couple of questions that will get me over to the other side of passing, I will spend the dollars and buy it. Those would be the low-hanging fruit.

Also, practice as many problems as you can. You may not see the same problems, but at least it gives you the confidence and critical thinking in solving them on the actual exam day.

I took the P.E course offered by EET and personally it helped me on both the AM& PM sessions.

Good luck and keep the positivity high!!!

Hello –

I was a repeat test taker too before I passed my exam. I would recommend buying or borrowing all books to take to the exam. Since you are student you should be able to check out books from the library.

If you haven’t had wood or masonry I would buy a basic textbook and look at some basics and take the books with you to the exam. I would also recommend getting familiar with the NDS.

I also bought an OSHA book - I thought if I can look up a couple of questions that will get me over to the other side of passing, I will spend the dollars and buy it. Those would be the low-hanging fruit.

Also, practice as many problems as you can. You may not see the same problems, but at least it gives you the confidence and critical thinking in solving them on the actual exam day.

I took the P.E course offered by EET and personally it helped me on both the AM& PM sessions.

Good luck and keep the positivity high!!!
Thank you so much for your recommendation. I am taking EET depth only review course.

Can you please give me some suggestion preparing for temporary structures? Do I need to buy ACI SP 4?

Do you suggest working on complicated wood connection problems (like Bolt Lateral - Single Shear Wood-to-Wood,  Bolted Wood-to-Wood Tension Splice Connection) for the Structural depth exam?

Hello, can someone suggest to me what is the best group to join for the PE Structure? how you found the October 2020 PE Structure exam is it difficult or simple? I am waiting for the result  but don't want to wait until the end of December and try to reach some good study discussion groupsThanks and good luck

Back