• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to EngineerBoards and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

License Renewal Hours first year?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady Civil

Reaction score
If it's a renewal year and you only just got your license, do you still need the full credits when you renew or do you only need a prorated number based on how long you've been licensed? 

If it's a renewal year and you only just got your license, do you still need the full credits when you renew or do you only need a prorated number based on how long you've been licensed? 
I guess it depends on state.

In FL: "If you obtained your PE license by examination in Florida AFTER the April 2019 exam cycle, and Florida is your first state of PE licensure, you are only required to pay the fee to renew your license. You do not need to complete the 18 hours of continuing education for this renewal cycle. However, effective with the 2021-23 biennium, you will be responsible for completing your continuing education hours and paying the renewal fee to successfully renew your license."

Depends on state.

I don't need to do any PDHs before I renew my license for the first time. per VT state rules. I will need to start tracking PDHs after 1 Aug 2020 for when I renew again in 2022 [all VT PE licenses expire on 31 Jul of even years]

Ohio waives the Continuing Ed requirements for the calendar year in which you're initially licensed. So, I didn't have to have any PDHs for the 18 days in 2019 in which I was licensed, but I'll need to have the full 30 for the 2020-2021 biennium. Those licensed in Ohio during this year will only need 15 PDHs for the calendar year 2021.

Back