Next steps for PE license in CA?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcucengineer

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I need some guidance as my emails and calls to my evaluator seem to go unnoticed/unanswered.

I passed the ethics, seismic, and surveying in the past and most recently was notified I passed the Oct 2019 NCEES exam. I haven't received my license yet and friends who have become PEs in the past say there isn't anything else to do (and they got their licenses very soon after they met the requirements), but it could be different now. What are my next steps, if any? Any form to submit? The lack of chatter wondering when people will get their license has me concerned about mine.

Anyone else in California in the same boat? Thanks for your time! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! I need some guidance as my emails and calls to my evaluator seem to go unnoticed/unanswered.

I passed the ethics, seismic, and surveying in the past and most recently was notified I passed the Oct 2019 NCEES exam. I haven't received my license yet and friends who have become PEs in the past say there isn't anything else to do (and they got their licenses very soon after they met the requirements), but it could be different now. What are my next steps, if any? Any form to submit? The lack of chatter wondering when people will get their license has me concerned about mine.

I am not sure in your case sine you had already taken the state specific exams. But I usually contacted via email and got quick response. Also, @CAPLS can you add anything?

please send me a private message with your contact name and info and I'll check on it for you.  Since you've passed the NCEES exam last, it's very likely that the Board is not aware of that yet.

please send me a private message with your contact name and info and I'll check on it for you.  Since you've passed the NCEES exam last, it's very likely that the Board is not aware of that yet.
Sent you a PM. Please let me know if you didn't receive it. I greatly appreciate the help! 

I passed the NCEES exam late 2018 and just found out I passed both surveying and seismic Jan 2020 (10 days ago). I understand they issue licenses bi-weekly, so was expecting my license this week. Anyone else in the same boat?

I passed the PE exam in October, mailed application and it arrived in Sacramento on Dec 17. Since I used a money order I don't know if the check was cashed. How long does this normally take? Do you all look on the license lookup page for your name? Thanks!

They seem to cash checks biweekly from what I’ve seen in previous timeline posts? And it showed up on my bank statement on the 23rd but I check the online photo shows that it was endorsed on a 15th so that is the date I consider it cashed.

I submitted my application early October, got technically approved two Thursdays ago, and got my license two days ago. Awaiting for the stuff in the mail and oddly the expiration date is June 2020 so unless they move that I have to pay a renewal already
Edit: Just checked and that’s normal for first time licensees to make you pay again lol

I am also in California, passed the PE in October 2019. I submitted my application February 25 (UPS expected delivery Feb 26). I hit the 60-day mark last week and reached out via email and phone, left voicemails. No response yet. I figured Covid-19 might be a factor, and it probably is, but I'm seeing others in previous years also have difficulty contacting CA BPELS. 

I will come back and update as I hear more. My hope is for this post to be a reference for future people like myself who stumbled upon this thread and are wondering what their timeline may look like.

Timeline:

PE exam passed OCT 2019, results released in DEC 2019

Feb 25, 2020 : PE License Application mailed via UPS, expected delivery by Feb 26.

Mar 2, 2020 : Check shown as cashed in my Bank App

Update 1 - (5/6/2020 , 69 days after app submitted) : Received an email informing me it has moved to technical review. Will update again on what we see next. 

Update 2 - (5/13/2020, 76 days after app submitted) : As of today I now show up online in the CA PE license lookup, so I guess it's official. I didn't receive an email notifying me of this, so it must have just slipped them 😩 . But it's done, so I am thankful for that. I will try to provide a last update when things start to arrive in the mail like the letter, the wallet card, and certificate. Good luck to all and a big thank you to @CAPLS for his help and guidance through this process!

Update 3  -  6/2/2020 : Today I received my pocket/wallet certificate in the mail.

Update 1 - (5/6/2020 , 69 days after submitted) : Received an email informing me it has moved to technical review. Will update again on what we see next. 
Hot darn! That long to enter technical review? 

I submitted my application to the CA Board on April 20, 2020 and it took them two weeks to cash my check (May 5). This darn virus is really slowing things down. Thanks for your updates. Wishing you good news.

Hot darn! That long to enter technical review? 

I submitted my application to the CA Board on April 20, 2020 and it took them two weeks to cash my check (May 5). This darn virus is really slowing things down. Thanks for your updates. Wishing you good news.

I am glad my post was helpful to you, and hope it is for many others. Thank you, I learned today of the good news of successful processing, and am officially a PE!

The board works in mysterious ways, so it's hard to say. Once you hit the 60-day mark from when you submitted, if you haven't heard anything, I recommend reaching out to @CAPLS for assistance. He/She is a saint. 

Best wishes.

I am glad my post was helpful to you, and hope it is for many others. Thank you, I learned today of the good news of successful processing, and am officially a PE!

The board works in mysterious ways, so it's hard to say. Once you hit the 60-day mark from when you submitted, if you haven't heard anything, I recommend reaching out to @CAPLS for assistance. He/She is a saint. 
Congratulations on your licensure!!! Waiting for the Board's review is making me just as anxious as when I was waiting for my exam results. Lots of anxiety... 

Hi @CAPLS, is it possible to check the status of my application? I received an email from an evaluator 7 weeks ago telling me my application was technically approved, but I have not heard back since. I also tried contacting the evaluator back but have not heard anything.

Hi @CAPLS, is it possible to check the status of my application? I received an email from an evaluator 7 weeks ago telling me my application was technically approved, but I have not heard back since. I also tried contacting the evaluator back but have not heard anything.
Sure just send me a private message with your name and contact info and I'll track down the status for you.

Back