April/October 2020 Power PE Exam Prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid PE

Member? You 'member.
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone,

I've seen a lot of posts all over the place from people studying for the upcoming exam.

I thought it would be a good idea to get an April 2020 thread started for everyone to ask questions, share resources and provide knowledge all in one place.

@BebeshKing @MEtoEE @SparkyBill @pigking8190 @SCU2019 @wiliki @daydreambeliever @Crimsonwar 

If you know of anyone else that is studying, feel free to tag them.
Thanks for the mention Chattaneer! 

Anyone on this forum have any good recommendations of references (books, practice problems, websites, etc.) for study on [SIZE=14.6667px]circuits/electric power devices? I feel like this is my weakest section on the PE exam. [/SIZE]

Honestly if you're "struggling" with circuits, It's hard to beat Zach Stone's course. Especially his "Circuits bootcamp". He will have breakdown videos of each topic, and an beautiful "key equations" you can print that makes things easier. As far as a circuit book, I don't know if any of my reference are actually just circuits books. 

@Chattaneer PE did you bring a circuits book to the actual exam? or @MSEE

I didn't bring anything specifically for circuits. IIRC, Graffeo's book may have had circuit analysis in it. I do remember it had some power electronics in it, though. I think I used that and the cram for the exam reference for anything power electronics related.

I didn't bring anything specifically for circuits. IRRC, Graffeo's book may have had circuit analysis in it. I do remember it had some power electronics in it, though. I think I used that and the cram for the exam reference for anything power electronics related.
Is this cram book you mention one I got from you? I have all the cram test, but I didn't know if any had more than just test in them. 

Is this cram book you mention one I got from you? I have all the cram test, but I didn't know if any had more than just test in them. 
Yes it is. There should be 1 reference and 2 exams.

Yes it its. There should be 1 reference and 2 exams.
Glad you said something! I am flipping through it right now, I love the way its laid out. I thought it was 3 separate exams. Heck yeah this is a lot of information in a small space. 

My goal is to have a ton of reference stuff with me and hopefully I can answer most questions with my Zach Stone's website notes/problems/my notes.

Then have all these references tabbed with the questions I have left. 

2-3 hours starting 8pm Mon, Wed, Friday plus 8 hours Saturday.  Saturday for practice exams or working through more problems.
What type of studying are you doing during the week? Is it practice problems or a course?

Either practice problems or course notes.  For example, last week I went through School of PE General Power and Saturday I worked through 59 workshop problems.  It didn't take 8 hours since those were mostly "drill" type problems.  I used the rest of the time to start another School of PE workshop - circuits.

For everyone that is studying, what does your study plan look like? 
pppffff I am so lost rn....I have already started to do problems and I am finalizing my plan for WRE April 2020.

Breadth: I will tackle this one alone with the CERM 15th edition I bought in 2018. Plan to create 1 binder with practice problems tabbed by NCEES Specs (I think). I plan to do as many breadth test as possible hopefully 6/7, slow at first and start picking up the pace as I get closer to March/April. I just finished a 20 question test I found the pdf link on this platform and I have some serious work to do on structures, geotech and wastewater plants. I have 4 other 40 q breadth tests I have found online that I will do starting now. After I am done with those I will buy some online. Either six-minute, ppi, PE prepared, or other. As I go thru the problems I am writing down the CERM page where I referenced equations that helped with the problem and also the NCEES spec for the problem binder I plan to make.

As far as references: CERM, I have the steel manual from college, I want to get a copy of the NDS and......HELP: What other resources/reference books are necessary/recommended?

Depth: I think I am going to pay the $550 on this one a do the EET depth. I think this will help me greatly, I am afraid of doing a good job in the morning and not so good in the PM. I seem to have read that case a lot, good am and bad pm sessions because of not taking a class for the depth. for this afternoon session I will rely on the folder, lessons and problems provided from the class. I have seen some depth test sold online, any suggestions or recommendations on this one??

3-5 hours from Monday to Friday in the office. 5-8 hours during the weekends for now. I plan to pick up the pace in February with whatever class I take (or not). My plan is to achieve 300 hours of solid study time before test day. Mentally that is the number that will put me at ease.

That is all. 

Currently studying for April 2020 Power PE exam. I started reviewing my college notes  mid October with the Graffeo as a guide. Now, I am digging the Engineering pro study guides. I study 3hrs on weekdays and 8-9hrs on weekends. I’m planning to finish all the topics first and then do the practice problems after. I have a lot of practice problems to play with after.

complex imaginary, spin ups, engineering pro, testmasters, wasim, chelapati, shoebrooks, grafeo primer

Hope i can finish them all. 😅

Back