Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid PE

Member? You 'member.
Reaction score
Should You Diet

https://weightsandplates.com/nutrition/should-you-go-on-a-diet/

Review of Popular Diets

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/a321/b9adfff93d0df1eace2afaab0fa1e1309797.pdf

Summary:

Diets that reduce caloric intake result in weight loss. In the absence of physical activity, a diet that contains ~1400 to 1500 kcal/d, regardless of macronutrient composition, results in weight loss. Individuals consuming high-fat, low-CHO diets may lose weight because the intake of protein and fat is self-limiting and overall caloric intake is decreased (11,12). Low-fat and VLF diets contain a high proportion of complex CHOs, fruits, and vegetables. They are naturally high in fiber and low in caloric density. Individuals consuming these types of diets consume fewer calories and lose weight (13–17). Balanced nutrient reduction diets contain moderate amounts of fat, CHO, and protein. When overall caloric intake is reduced, these diets result in loss of body weight and body fat (6,18). Importantly, moderate-fat, balanced nutrient reduction diets produce weight loss even when they are consumed ad libitum. In sum, all popular diets, as well as diets recommended by governmental and nongovernmental organizations, result in weight loss. However, it is important to note that weight loss is not the same as weight maintenance.
Quoting that important part again:

Diets that reduce caloric intake result in weight loss.
Intermittent Fasting

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide

Ketogenic Diet

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK499830/

On the Flip Side

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/why-carbs-dont-make-you-fat/

Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE)

Calculation and macro requirements:

https://tdeecalculator.net/

About Sugar

Simple Sugars

The three main simple sugars are glucose, fructose, and galactose. These sugars do not need to be broken down any further in the body. Glucose is found in honey and fruit, fructose in fruits, vegetables, and honey, and galactose in plants. The stomach and small intestines absorb glucose and release it into the bloodstream.

Compound Sugars

The compound sugars are sucrose, a combination of fructose and glucose; lactose, a combination of galactose and glucose; and maltose, a combination of two glucose molecules. Enzymes in the body break down these compound sugars into simple sugars during digestion.

Starches

Starches are formed by plants and are also called complex carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates are formed by stringing together different sugars. Starches are broken down during digestion into compound sugars (glucose, maltotriose, and maltose), and then broken down further into simple sugars (maltase, lactase, sucrase, and isomaltase).

Insulin

Insulin is released by the pancreas in the body when the pancreas detects a rise in blood glucose. Most of the cells in our body use glucose, amino acids, and fats for energy. Insulin is responsible for storing excess glucose as muscle glycogen, liver glycogen, and adipose tissue (fat).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

Muscle Protein Synthesis

https://www.verywellfit.com/muscle-protein-synthesis-and-muscle-growth-4148337

https://www.nutritiontactics.com/measure-muscle-protein-synthesis/

If it's related to the title, you can post it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Higli machines at the grocery store are pretty accurate for % body fat - But I get different results on weight (probably due to clothes)

Those Higli machines at the grocery store are pretty accurate for % body fat - But I get different results on weight (probably due to clothes)
That's cool. I didn't know those measured body fat.

So the more and more I get sucked into the crossfit cult the more I really grow to like them:

& not trying to debate crossfit - I just found this very interesting.

https://www.crossfit.com/battles/crossfit-suspends-facebook-instagram

I think its pretty interesting there take on the sugar industry and there huge disdain for Coke / Pepsi, Maybe its all tinfoil hat but they essentially believe that many of the (later proven to be false) lawsuits against them were funded by the Food and Beverage industry (who get trashed repeatedly)  

Stangely enough I learned about this action (deleting there Facebook account) through my owner invision power board account here (they have seen an uptick in a return to message boards as people leave facebook) ...

(If you dont want to click the link above):::

(Jump down to #8 - that's the main point related to this fitness article) 

8.  Facebook is acting in the service of food and beverage industry interests by deleting the accounts of communities that have identified the corrupted nutritional science responsible for unchecked global chronic disease. In this, it follows the practices of Wikipedia and other private platforms that host public content but retain the ability to remove or silence—without the opportunity for real debate or appeal—information and perspectives outside a narrow scope of belief or thought. In this case, the approved perspective has resulted in the deaths of millions through preventable diseases. Facebook is thus complicit in the global chronic disease crisis.

For these reasons, CrossFit, Inc. has placed Facebook and its associated properties under review and will no longer support or use Facebook’s services until further notice.

I'm not into CrossFit. I tried it out for a little while, but it wasn't for me.

But heck yeah for CrossFit taking a stance against Facebook. After watching some of Mark Z's testimony to congress, I decided to deactivate my FB and IG accounts. I especially didn't like when Mark said that search suggestions do not populate for groups/pages that are not aligned with FB's views. He specifically mentioned an example that groups such as ones against vaccinations will only show up if you search the exact name, and will never be suggested. That's when I realized FB was terrible.

I can only imagine what sort of pages & groups FB is hiding about nutrition from the public.

that groups such as ones against vaccinations will only show up if you search the exact name, and will never be suggested
I believe this is a good thing.

Though I do agree with your overall philosophy that all pages/articles should get equal preference. But its a business and we don't go to Starbucks and complain that they don't serve Folgers.

I believe this is a good thing.

Though I do agree with your overall philosophy that all pages/articles should get equal preference. But its a business and we don't go to Starbucks and complain that they don't serve Folgers.
I think FB does have the right to filter their suggestions. I just don't want to support a company that really only shows stuff I disagree with. I want the option to see everything so I can make the determination for myself.

Its just sort of irks me that we have 70 million obese / overweight folks that most are likely going to all get Diabetes, well all be paying for them in terms of higher health care costs / taxes / etc, and the solution to this problem is fairly simple, diet and exercise, but the fact that a large "social media" presence would subvert this information is pretty crazy to me.

Except for this month because they are all selling New Years Resolution globo gym advertisements! lol

Since I already blasted this on FB (which you all hate) and the girls forums (which you, hopefully, don't hate): Weighted myself this past Sunday and lost 30lbs!  Started being kinda-semi serious about weight loss in March 2019 but only actually started doing classes and trying to eat healthier like mid-July 2019?  So around a 6-month exercise journey has led me to 30-lbs of weight loss.  When I was talking to my boot camp coach last night, he said based on my frame/stamina, he could see me losing another 15 lbs easy.

He's also really excited about me having measurable goals/a timeline to try and hit it, as well as some thing I didn't want to do (but I'm going to try).  Originally I was only going to lose 10 lbs, then attempt 175 lbs, but now I'm like...I'm at 187lb, I might as well go for 175 and if I reach that, go for 150lb.  Now I'm thinking about a 5k...because coach said I need cardio.  The gym does a couch to 5k starting in March, since some members only like strength building, and he's already said I'm doing it.

*excited squeal of actually seeing results*

the fact that a large "social media" presence would subvert this information is pretty crazy to me.
That's the other issue. People getting info from social media than a doctor or other health professional. I guess 100 likes trumps medical research.

Except for this month because they are all selling New Years Resolution glob gym advertisements! lol
I got my gym membership recently, thanks to those deals :)  

That's the other issue. People getting info from social media than a doctor or other health professional. I guess 100 likes trumps medical research.

I got my gym membership recently, thanks to those deals :)  
Just to hop on this: one of my coworkers recently went on the keto diet due to what one doctor told them to do.  Their main doctor did a blood draw and they were close to kidney failure (like 80% kidney use), due to the keto diet and the heart medication not working well together.  I trust my doctor because he tries to keep you off as much medication as possible (I mean, I'm literally on crazy fish oil pills for my triglycerides, but he wanted me to attempt to lose weight before he made any other decision).  I think a lot of people don't have that great of a relationship with their doctor/only go when they're sick and not for normal check-ups.

Yay!  Gym membership!  Keep at it!  Make it a habit and not a 'new year, new you' resolution that dies by mid-February! 

Yay!  Gym membership!  Keep at it!  Make it a habit and not a 'new year, new you' resolution that dies by mid-February! 
Haha. I have been working out since mid last year. But just using the small gym in our office to get started. It only has dumbbells and couple treadmills. Now wanting to get back to lifting/ working out as before, I got a membership near our home. The end of year desperation, to make sales, just helped with the deal.

I used to have a gym membership that I never used. I run at lunch daily at work (I snack throughout the day and/or intermittent fast) since we have a locker room/shower (but not actual gym). I make...about 2-4 miles every day (well, at least for the past couple of months and I only have a 30 minute lunch break). And I also commute by bike, so that's handy. With the house renovation projects and just the configuration of my and LadySquare's social lives, commuting to/from a gym and carving large chunks of time for working out was/is not achievable.

I used to have a gym membership that I never used. I run at lunch daily at work (I snack throughout the day and/or intermittent fast) since we have a locker room/shower (but not actual gym). I make...about 2-4 miles every day (well, at least for the past couple of months and I only have a 30 minute lunch break). And I also commute by bike, so that's handy. With the house renovation projects and just the configuration of my and LadySquare's social lives, commuting to/from a gym and carving large chunks of time for working out was/is not achievable.
IS THAT HOW YOU GET THOSE CRAZY STEPS IN FITBIT????  YOU'RE A MONSTER.

commuting to/from a gym and carving large chunks of time for working out was/is not achievable
That was the main reason for using the office gym. Did IF, worked out in the afternoon and then broke fast.

But could not do much workout there. Needed proper gym. Now I stop by on tge way back from work. So far its been working. 

Back