SE Exam Buildings vs. Bridges

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davab

Reaction score
I am in the myNCEES and looking to register for the SE exam this coming May.

I noticed that there are SE Lateral Bridges, SE Lateral Buildings, SE Vertical Bridges, and SE Vertical Buildings.

I have only done building designs so it is a no brainer which tests to choose. But I was curious about the differences between two tests and were these options always available for SE exams in the past?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

morning is always the same for both buildings and bridges (tough on both, but mostly for bridge peeps)

afternoon is completely different questions. they've been separate as far as i've known but who knows further back

The 16 hour SE exam format has always been the same. 

Mornings everyone does the same exam.  40 multiple choice questions - About 10-12 of those questions will cover bridges.  So if you are a "building" engineer you will need to have at least some knowledge of bridge structural engineering.  Check out my book, Bridge Problems for the Structural Engineering (SE) Exam,  for help with this. :)

The afternoon is essay questions. For us building engineers there are 4 essay questions.  The bridge engineers only have to do 3.

You should choose SE building exams unless you are a bridge engineer. In some other post, one friend said some state only accepts SE building exam passer to apply SE license.

You should choose SE building exams unless you are a bridge engineer. In some other post, one friend said some state only accepts SE building exam passer to apply SE license.
Hi, could you let me know which post says this? if that's the case, dose that mean we all should take Bridges? Thanks.

I think you would want to take buildings if there is a state out there that only accepts the SE building exam. 
do you know which state it is? Currently I am mainly doing bridge design, so I am not sure if I should take buildings or not? Thanks. 

Oregon only accepts the SE Buildings exam - There may be more out there...
What if ppl already passed SE (bridge), so they can never be licensed as SE in Oregon? Yea, I should just ask Oregon board~

Yea...Best to contact the board...I only know cause I was reading their structural engineer application and it says it on there.

Did you happen to get any more information from Oregon state?
Hi, Dear Andie,

Sorry, buddy, Oregon DOT never replied me. You may call them for the answer.

Also, it seems we can still register SE (Building) exam after passing SE (Bridge) exam. So if you want to apply for SE license in Oregon, you may want to register SE (Building) exam at the beginning. Unless you want to pass both Building and Bridge SE exams.

Thank,

Stewie

Did you happen to get any more information from Oregon state?
Hi, Dear Andie,

I asked both Oregon licensure board and NCEES. So far what I got is as follows.

1. NCEES tells:

Taking the "other module" of the PE Structural Engineering exam once a candidate has already passed one is not allowed by policy, unless it is required by a state board.

2. Oregon board told me that they will discuss that during next meeting...

So, I think, it is still possible for a SE (bridge) passer apply SE license in Oregon but with more paperwork and passing SE (building) exam. If you are working in Oregon and want to get SE in Oregon, you better take SE (building).

Thanks,

Stewie

In the first part, everything is more clear, but I still need to repeat everything. Thanks for recommending the book, I'll surely read it. There're more questions on the second part. I've always been not good at writing, therefore I turned to this service for help https://edubirdie.com/essay-writing-help-online but I want to improve my skills, for this I bought a book by  Gary Provost "100 way to improve your writing", hope it'll help.

Thank you for sharing

Derek 
I wouldn't think of the essay questions as "writing an essay" like you did in English class. The essay questions are more like working out the problems by hand, showing your calculations, citing applicable code provisions, writing out some explanations if necessary.  You probably will also have draw a detail or 2.  But I would not spend to much time trying to improve your "writing" in relation to the SE exam.  

I wouldn't think of the essay questions as "writing an essay" like you did in English class. The essay questions are more like working out the problems by hand, showing your calculations, citing applicable code provisions, writing out some explanations if necessary.  You probably will also have draw a detail or 2.  But I would not spend to much time trying to improve your "writing" in relation to the SE exam.  
My thoughts exactly.  Instead of "essay", think of the afternoon problems as "free-form response".  The graders want to see how you approach the problem, and whether you're making appropriate assumptions and checks.  They're looking to see that you have a complete understanding of the applicable engineering principles and code provisions.  These problems are less of the "get the correct answer" type and more of the "justify your engineering decisions" type.   

Sure, this essay isn't like those we did in English class, that will be much more difficult. I remember for me even those essays were too difficult, sometimes I applied for help, but not every time that help was good. Only when I started reading a review before ordering a paper, I found reliable services, as my first service boomessays wrote an essay of poor quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read a lot about this and saw similar information. This is a rather complicated topic, but I’m sure that you can cope with it if you make enough effort. Side bridges SE, side buildings SE, vertical bridges SE and vertical buildings SE are quite similar to each other. I'm sure it will be useful for you to read essays related to the profession https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/profession/ The main thing is to catch the logic and everything seems very easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back