Do I need to continue reviewing my EIT license after Passing the PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of those "varies state to state" things. But in general, I think you have to have an active EI license for your state board to approve your PE application. So you probably need to keep your EI active throughout the application process (from initial application through PE license). Once you're a licensed PE, you can forget about your EI; I'm pretty sure your EI status goes away.

Thanks guys. I also do not understand why my state board keeps sending me passive-aggressive emails asking/demanding me to renew my EI license. However, to give them the benefit of the doubt, I did get my EI in one state and have my PE from another. So maybe their system bot sends out these automatic emails. 

I'm guessing the original EI state doesn't know you have your PE in another. I'm pretty sure it's fine to let the EI lapse. If you apply for PE licenses in more states, you'd probably do it via comity with your existing PE, and not a "from scratch" application.

Last edited by a moderator:
The EIT doesn't expire.

Some states will administratively end the EIT after gaining a PE license in the same state, but that's more of a superseding license issue that an expiration issue.

The EIT doesn't expire.

Some states will administratively end the EIT after gaining a PE license in the same state, but that's more of a superseding license issue that an expiration issue.
My EIT in Arkansas expires at the end of this year and I renewed it once when I was there.

I'm not worried it about since I'm waiting for my PE license in Florida currently but I just wanted to put that info out there.

The EIT doesn't expire.

Louisiana charges $60 biennial fee to keep your EI in active status. Sounds like some other states do something similar. 

In Louisiana if you let it go inactive, you're required to reactivate it (filling out a reinstatement application and paying a fee) before you can submit a PE application. But it works out cheaper to get your EI, let it go inactive and then reinstate after 4 years when you're ready for the PE, then it does to keep it active the whole time. Unless your job requires an active EI for some reason. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Louisiana charges $60 biennial fee to keep your EI in active status. Sounds like other states do too.  In Louisiana if you let it go inactive, you're required to reactivate it (filling out a reinstatement application and paying a fee) before you can submit a PE application. But it works out cheaper to get your EI, let it go inactive and then reinstate after 4 years when you're ready for the PE, then it does to keep it active the whole time. Unless your job requires an active EI for some reason. 
Arkansas is cheap then, I think it was $50 initially and $10 to renew lol.

Florida doesn't require an EIT to get your PE so I didn't bother to get another one in Florida.

I didn't realize that some states had a renewal fee? PA, MD, others just have a one time fee. I know why some States charge a fee but that's pretty tacky. It's not even a proper license. I mean, an EIT certificate and $1.29 is enough to get you a cup of coffee at Wawa.

The EIT doesn't expire.

My EIT in Texas expires 8 years after issuance

Back