GA License via Comity

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glengineer

Reaction score
Hello all!

I recently (read August 26th) applied for licensure via Comity in the state of GA.  Their license FAQ notes that it typically takes 10-15 days for a Comity license to be approved, once all items have been received. It also adds that approval does't necessarily align with board meetings (though I believe there was one today).  According to my licensing checklist on their site, everything has been listed as completed since September 3rd, yet my status is still listed as pending.  I've tried emailing, and left a voice mail, but it seems to be radio silence.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is it pretty normal for them to take a while, or should I keep up with the pestering to make sure something didn't get lost somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

I am in the same situation. My information was approved September 6th. I called the office of the Secretary of State and they assured me my application would be reviewed at the Board Meeting today. From my understanding, after reviewing the meeting minutes from the last board meeting (May 14, 2019), a list of all applications are presented to the board and they approve all of them at once. So, HOPEFULLY, we will hear something within the next day or two. 

I kinda figured that, but was surprised when I read the part about the approval not necessarily coinciding with the board meetings.  Here's hoping! 🍻

I kinda figured that, but was surprised when I read the part about the approval not necessarily coinciding with the board meetings.  Here's hoping! 🍻
I've read in other forums that GA may require an SE to obtain your license if you're focusing in structures. I'm hoping this isnt true.

I've read in other forums that GA may require an SE to obtain your license if you're focusing in structures. I'm hoping this isnt true.
From my understanding, per the GA Rules and Regs: Section 180-2.  An SE is only required for those intending to do design work on "Designated Structures".

Here is an excerpt from that section:

(2)

If the Applicant designates that he/she will engage in the branch identified as structural engineering or the Applicant's experience is deemed to be within the branch of structural engineering, the Applicant shall be directed to take the NCEES 16 hour Structural Engineering Exam.
For purposes of this rule, "structural engineering" shall be defined as engaging in the design or analysis of "Designated Structures. "Designated Structures" are defined as follows:

a.

For buildings and other structures requiring a building permit as required by the International Building Code, adopted edition, with Georgia Amendments in current effect in the state of Georgia, a Designated Structure is any building or other structure which meets any one of the following criteria:

I.

Any building structure which has risk Category of III or IV in accordance with Table 1604.5 of the International Building Code, adopted edition, with Georgia Amendments.

II.

Any building structure which has a covered gross area of 100,000 square feet or greater, or has an occupied floor elevation that is 45 feet or more above the average ground level of the building.

III.

Any building structure which with height to least width aspect ratio of the structural lateral load resisting system greater than or equal to seven.

IV.

Any building structure which is designed using nonlinear time history analysis or with special seismic energy dissipation systems.

From my understanding, per the GA Rules and Regs: Section 180-2.  An SE is only required for those intending to do design work on "Designated Structures".

Here is an excerpt from that section:

(2)

If the Applicant designates that he/she will engage in the branch identified as structural engineering or the Applicant's experience is deemed to be within the branch of structural engineering, the Applicant shall be directed to take the NCEES 16 hour Structural Engineering Exam.
For purposes of this rule, "structural engineering" shall be defined as engaging in the design or analysis of "Designated Structures. "Designated Structures" are defined as follows:

a.

For buildings and other structures requiring a building permit as required by the International Building Code, adopted edition, with Georgia Amendments in current effect in the state of Georgia, a Designated Structure is any building or other structure which meets any one of the following criteria:

I.

Any building structure which has risk Category of III or IV in accordance with Table 1604.5 of the International Building Code, adopted edition, with Georgia Amendments.

II.

Any building structure which has a covered gross area of 100,000 square feet or greater, or has an occupied floor elevation that is 45 feet or more above the average ground level of the building.

III.

Any building structure which with height to least width aspect ratio of the structural lateral load resisting system greater than or equal to seven.

IV.

Any building structure which is designed using nonlinear time history analysis or with special seismic energy dissipation systems.
I agree, I'm also in the bridge field so these are the requirements for part b of that regulation. The only problem I foresee is my experience could be considered structural. AND on the application when asked what field I plan to practice in the state of GA I put Civil: Structural.  

Oh well, I suppose we'll find out in the next day or two.

Capture.PNG

I'm the same way (just with buildings not bridges).  I noted that I will be doing Civil:Structural.  I do predominately precast design, and fit within the parameters of part a.  I feel like, if they were going to set this kind of standard, they should have an additional line in the application to delineate whether we will be confined to the limitations or not.

We'll see!

Well....I called the GA Board today, to ask about the status of my application.  They were nice enough to give me all the information I already knew, BUT they also took the time to track down whether my application was in-fact reviewed at the board meeting on Tuesday.  Turns out it was, and I should hear something via email within 15 business days.  SCORE!

Well....I called the GA Board today, to ask about the status of my application.  They were nice enough to give me all the information I already knew, BUT they also took the time to track down whether my application was in-fact reviewed at the board meeting on Tuesday.  Turns out it was, and I should hear something via email within 15 business days.  SCORE!
Nice! Congratulations!

Out of curiosity, have you heard anything yet?

I just got an email. I’ve been denied because some experience at my last company falls under their “designated structure” definition. Bummer!  Looks like I’m back to taking the SE. 😂🤣

Back