NYU Electrical Systems Design Certificate Courses

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owism

PE
Reaction score
I don't this this holds any weight. It's good to have some knowledge but I think hands on experience is more important through work as an intern engineer and then working your way up to the PE.

This just seems like it's more for people with no real background in any type of engineering.

I appreciate your feedback but Have you read the course description?

I have my PE and a few hands on experience with solar powered projects and basic electrical designs in a Civil Engineering setting.  My job has mostly project management aspects to it rather than actual engineering but I figure with this class I can learn the actual engineering 

Here are the course descriptions, please let me know your thoughts afterwards:

First course: Study electrical principles and their application to electrical equipment, circuits, and systems used in commercial and residential buildings. Topics include elements of DC and AC circuits and calculations, power, power factor, instruments, and three-phase systems.

Second course: Building upon Electrical Systems Design I, this course analyzes the various design elements that make up electrical systems. Topics include wire calculations, raceway sizing, branch circuits, motor circuits, fuses, circuit breakers, short circuit protection, feeder design, voltage drop calculations, transformers, commercial calculations, and the National Electric Code as it relates to the above topics.

Third course: A continuation of Electrical Systems Design II, this course focuses on additional design elements of greater complexity. Topics include service entrance layouts, switchboard configurations and spacing requirements, grounding, ground-fault protection, panel board arrangements and distribution methods, emergency generators, automatic transfer switches, uninterruptible power systems, lighting layouts, lighting calculations, and the National Electric Code as it relates to the above topics.

Fourth last course: The elements of electrical design discussed in Electrical Systems Design III,and III are applied to a high-rise office building setting in this final course of the series. Work in a design team to create a final set of working drawings, with particular attention to the development of the service entrance, single line, and light and power riser diagrams.

I have read the course description and I have my PE as well.

Also, previous and current employees at my firm have taken this course. I really think it's used to introduce people to building electrical systems design with no background in engineering. A lot of this stuff can be taught on the job. Seems like it's for people to get their foot in the door with no engineering background or to improve skills with no engineering background.

Thanks! What do the folks who took the course think of it? I appreciate any feedback. Starts in two weeks

I have read the course description and I have my PE as well.

Also, previous and current employees at my firm have taken this course. I really think it's used to introduce people to building electrical systems design with no background in engineering. A lot of this stuff can be taught on the job. Seems like it's for people to get their foot in the door with no engineering background or to improve skills with no engineering background.

My old company used to sent recent grads to these classes. It was really helpful for them as he was one of the professors and it basically teaches them the fundamental of the topics relates to the field. This certificate by no means gives any kind of upper hand or more money, just brings you to level of understanding where you can have a decent conversation.

Back