Welding References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

civilrobot PE etc etc

The Beyonce of Construction
Reaction score
Did you carry an additional welding reference into the exam? Out of all of the topics, this one seems the most foreign to me. I see that the AISC Steel Construction Manual has a welding section but is it sufficient? I was talking to an older engineer in my office and he has an entire handbook that he's going to let me borrow. Was the Steel Construction Manual enough or did you use another reference?

I took a couple of additional references and ended up not using them ( Welding Symbols Charts, Specifications for Structural Joints using High Strength Bolts, etc.)  From what I can remember, the "Steel Manual" questions are pretty basic code look up type questions, you just need to know where to look and have the resource (i.e. the actual "Steel Manual").

If there is a welding question, it would probably be a detail of desired weld and you need to you match the corresponding welding symbol (or vica versa).   I believe the NCEES Construction Depth Sample Exam has this type of question on it.

Note:  There should only be one or two total "steel manual questions" on the exam. 

I would recommend picking up "Design of Welded Structures" by Blodgett.  It's only $30ish shipped from the James F. Lincoln Foundation.  I cannot attest to how its content direct correlates to the exam content, but if weld design is relatively foreign to you, it's a must-have and one of the best references you will ever own.  

I took a couple of additional references and ended up not using them ( Welding Symbols Charts, Specifications for Structural Joints using High Strength Bolts, etc.)  From what I can remember, the "Steel Manual" questions are pretty basic code look up type questions, you just need to know where to look and have the resource (i.e. the actual "Steel Manual").

If there is a welding question, it would probably be a detail of desired weld and you need to you match the corresponding welding symbol (or vica versa).   I believe the NCEES Construction Depth Sample Exam has this type of question on it.

Note:  There should only be one or two total "steel manual questions" on the exam. 
Wow! Thanks! 

I have the Steel Manual and I thumbed through the welding section but I haven't covered welding yet in EET so I was unsure if this is an adequate reference. I also have the Construction Depth Sample Exam so I'll look through it and find the question. Really appreciate it!

I would recommend picking up "Design of Welded Structures" by Blodgett.  It's only $30ish shipped from the James F. Lincoln Foundation.  I cannot attest to how its content direct correlates to the exam content, but if weld design is relatively foreign to you, it's a must-have and one of the best references you will ever own.  
Doesn't hurt to add it to the library. Thanks a lot!

If a specific reference manual is not specified in the test outline, then its probably covered in the Steel Manual chapters that are referenced.  I knew there was no steel design questions on the exam so I actually had my old manual from college.  Through either EET or sampke questions,  i think the only thing they could really ask about welding is type of welds based on the symbols. They may also ask about min/max weld depths and possibly type of material used. There's not a lot they can ask on this topic  

Back