One-Way Volt Readings

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sco

Reaction score
I have two 120 v lines providing power to my shop from which a simple 3-prong 240 v outlet is wired, using two breaker switches.  Upstream of the breaker panel, but downstream of the utility socket, one of them reads ~120 v with my voltmeter leads switched either way, with respect to ground.  The other reads ~5 v in one direction, and ~120 v in the other.  What could cause this?  Ultimately, I need to know whether the problem is my responsibility, or the power company's.

It is a problem, right?

Really hadn't been on here too much but if you're still dealing with this I'll try to answer it.

1. How many readings for the 5V or 120V leg? (also which leads are where for the 5V reading?)

2. If the 5V is a verified voltage, get an electrician to check your connections on both legs and the neutral starting from the meter base to your panel. (I can't speak for your utility in Pitt but every utility I've worked for and talked to the meter base is customer property.)

3. You can also get an electrician to perform a continuity check on the conductors (Ohm test)

4. If all that checks out then I would get the utility to check connections on their side all the way back to the xfmr bushings

Back