NY PE to CA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roy167

Passed PE
Reaction score
Hey guys, I passed my FE and PE from NY board. My undergraduate degree is from a foreign country, so I didn't do a degree evaluation and even without points for degree I had about 20 yrs of industrial experience which qualified me for Power PE in NY board. 

Will I be eligible to transfer my license to CA and or Texas? without more tests etc? The presumption here is I met all the prerequisite which made me eligible to take FE and PE. I understand for civil engineers they may need to take additional exams because of the geographical region but for power PE I hope it is just a matter of registration, fees etc.

Can someone who have gone through this or know about how this work please  comment on this? 

In CA, if you have 6 years of qualifying experience either in responsible charge or in the responsible charge of another PE (or in an industry/government exempt from licensure) then you can be a high-school drop out for all the board cares.  An ABET degree counts as 4 years of qualifying experience, but is not at all necessary.  You will need to document the 6 years of qualifying experience with at least 4 letters of recommendation from electrical PEs other than yourself, ideally one or more of which you directly reported to.

As for other tests, you will need to pass the CA laws/ethics take home test -- this should be an hour or two spent with the CA board rules, proper use of command-f will cut that time in half.

Back