NCEES International Registry for Professional Engineers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizenken PE

Reaction score
Hello All! 

Anyone from here who tried applying for NCEES International Registry for Professional Engineers?

I’m a licensed P.E. (KY) and a citizen of one of the member countries. I’m considering applying for this registry for added professional/career value. Can anyone here please share their experience with the International Registry (application, requirements, turnaround time, international practice, etc.) Thanks!

7F9926F3-DD24-4498-9BBB-5884D9E504E4.png

@citizenken PE

For what it's worth I hold the IntPE (Canada) and APEC Engineer (Canada) designations, which are the same designations you're asking about, but administered through Engineers Canada (https://engineerscanada.ca/services/mobility-register) for us canuks. 

The requirements for me to register (approximately the same for all member jurisdictions) were:

• be a licensed engineer with at least one of the 12 Canadian provincial and territorial engineering regulators, and be listed as being in good standing in each jurisdiction in which you are licensed to practise
  • have gained a minimum of seven years of practical experience as an engineer within the discipline for which you are seeking to be enlisted on the register.
  • have spent at least two of those years in responsible charge of significant engineering work, which is defined as work that requires the exercise of independent engineering judgment, concerning programs and projects that have been substantial in duration, cost, or complexity, and for which the applicant should have been personally accountable for their success or failure.
  • have satisfied and will continue to satisfy the continuing professional development requirements in all jurisdictions in which you practice your area of practice
My application process was very straightforward:

1. Complete the Engineering Experience and Reference Validation form - describe all my engineering experience and have it validated by your professional references.  (Normally you do not need to submit this form, but you can be audited, like I was)
  2. Complete the online application,which attests that you meet the requirements laid out above, as well as attesting that you have completed the forms required in step 1.
It was approximately 8 week before I was issued the designations.

NCEES spells out their requirements and application process here: https://ncees.org/records/international-registry/.

The designations have not helped me at all yet.  In fact, I inquired with NCESS if they recognize the designations for one's NCESS record, given that they administer the designations in the US, but they do not.

One bonus for people registered in Canada is that Engineers Canada does not charge for registration on the mobility register, whereas NCESS charges to process your application.

Back