Pre-Graduation Experience -- California

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfytr310

Principal Engineer
Reaction score
Background:  I hold a technology degree that I completed in 2015 (Electro-mechanical, TAC/ABET) and I earned this through part-time attendance starting in 2008.  I began working in industry, under licensed PE's in 2011 (for what it's worth, NCEES has approved my pre-graduation experience as qualifying in my record).  Prior to this I was an electrician for 5 years.  I am working on my CA application now that I've passed the exam and intend to use my degree for the education time credit.

My concern is that my initial title in my engagement records is 'Sr. Engineer' and rapid promotions are reflected through the engagement forms.  Will the board be concerned about that?  Should I write a letter addressing why someone who just graduated is employed as a Sr. Engineer performing tasks more difficult than the average new engineer?  If yes, would you recommend I write that letter within the explanation section of the application or as a stand-alone document?  I could submit another engagement record but I don't want to make it seem like I am trying to claim education credit and experience credit that overlap since that is specifically forbidden in the rules (as I interpret them).

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Contacted the board.  They said the situation could raise a question so they indicated that I could write a letter and provide a printout of my NCEES record for that time period to help move things along.  Incidentally, I still work with the PE that vouched for the record time, so he is going to place his signature and seal on the NCEES record printout for good meausure.

If that's what the board recommended then do it.

Slightly OT, but I'm surprised that the board would care too much about adjectives in a job title. So many companies use job titles for marketing, external, or billing purposes that they barely register with me. Yes boards want to see professional development and growth, but that could be a simple as comparing the progression of an applicants job titles over time; or the growth in listed responsibilities over time.

If that's what the board recommended then do it.

Slightly OT, but I'm surprised that the board would care too much about adjectives in a job title...
I feel the same way but, knowing CA can take 90+ days to turn around an application, I wanted to make sure that I did everything I could do to minimize snag points.

Back