ASHRAE Book Purchase

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afzal

Reaction score
Hi,

I will take the october HVAC PE EXAM. Can anyone please tell me which year ASHRAE book should I purchase? Recent yearbooks are so expensive. Can I purchase old books for preparation?

Thank you

I took older books in the 2016 exam and was fine.  Not a whole lot changes in the books.  Just make sure you get a string of them, all 4 years in a row, so the newest book would have a proper index that refers to the previous years.

Thank you but can you please explain this a little bit "Just make sure you get a string of them, all 4 years in a row, so the newest book would have a proper index that refers to the previous years." 

For instance.  If you bought the 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2008 books.  That would be a sequence of 4 books.  The index in the 2011 book would refer to the pages and sections in the 2010, 2009 and 2008, as well as its own year.   

If you bought non-sequential years,  the idex will not refer to the correct pages and you will be lost and not find the information you are looking for.

You always want to use the index in the newest book...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I never use ASHRAE books before. Did you mean this?

2011 ASHRAE Handbook-Refrigeration
2010 ASHRAE Handbook-Fundamentals
2009 ASHRAE Handbook-HVAC Systems & Equipment
2008 ASHRAE Handbook-HVAC Applications

Which one basically the first one? 2011 ASHRAE Handbook-Refrigeration?

It doesnt have to be those years.  Can be any string of 4 years in a row.  A 2011 index will reference itself and the 2010, 2009 and 2008.

A 2008 index will reference itself and the 2007, 2006 and 2005 books. 

Its always itself and the 3 previous years books..

The index is a combined index for all 4 volumes.

older books might be better, actually.  In the official NCEES practice test, they require a calculation method / lookup from ASHRAE that was removed from the 2017 fundamentals book due to its wild inaccuracy in practice... I hope they wouldnt make that mistake on a real test, but interesting none-the-less... in that perticualr practice problem, you would need the 2013 book or earlier.

older books might be better, actually.  In the official NCEES practice test, they require a calculation method / lookup from ASHRAE that was removed from the 2017 fundamentals book due to its wild inaccuracy in practice... I hope they wouldnt make that mistake on a real test, but interesting none-the-less... in that perticualr practice problem, you would need the 2013 book or earlier.
Are you referring to the CLTD one?

thats super-duper obsolete. It’s scary that that is there...

Back