I already submitted ref letters to CA Board and they accept them. Do I still need to submit Professional Reference required by NCEES?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEPEPHD

Reaction score
Hello,

Apr 2019 PE exam taker here. 

As you might be already aware, both State Boards and NCEES ask for references separately. 

(If you go to NCEES and click My NCEES Records (or similar), one of requirements is 5 references from PEs, which seems redundant to me especially when State Board also asks for references for application review)

In my case, before taking PE exam, I already had submitted the references to CA board, together with CA PE license application form and other requirements such as bio scan, transcripts, etc, in order to get FE waiver because FE waiver requires to submit full license application packet ahead of PE exam. Since my FE waiver has been approved by CA board, I believe the reference letter requirement to CA board is furfilled for me .

My question is, do I still have to get 5 PE references for NCEES, even though CA board already has enough valid references for CA PE application?

Because it is State Borad who eventually decides to issue license, not NCEES, who is just overseeing PE exam process, I am not sure what is the point of NCEES collecting reference letters.

Anyone knows if NCEES reference requirement is necessary when your state board already accepted your references? I thank you for your inputs in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
NCEES records will accompany any comity application for licensing in other states.  CA is under no obligation to share what are now their documents with any other state for said effort.

***Edit:  I think I misread your question.  I would want to call the board on that one.  They indicated to me yesterday that the only thing they require from NCEES is the results notification and not the whole NCEES record (unless you are a comity applicant which it appears you are not).  So, again I would confirm, I would think you don't need to submit anything more to NCEES to continue your CA application.

Last edited by a moderator:
NCEES records are for multi-state licensure, if you just passed the PE and is applying for the license for the first time, you dont need to do anything on NCEES.

Also, I thought you can only register for Seismic/Survey as well as apply to CA board AFTER you pass the PE, it is stated on the application form.

fyrfytr301 and NYCBruin:

Thank you very much for your inputs.

It is good to know that I don't have to poke others again for NCEES ref.

I am trying to check it with CA board but it is very difficult to talk to the person who would answer this. It is always the voice recorder that greets me and worse it stops while I am leaving a message. Quite frustrating...

Back