California Fingerprints and NCEES Record

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfytr310

Principal Engineer
Reaction score
Working on my application and it says I need to submit fingerprints.  The FAQ says I don't need to submit if I've already done so for the EIT.  There is no box to check saying that I've already submitted, only whether I'm using cards or LiveScan.  Can someone confirm that I don't need to resubmit?

Also, it is saying that I need to submit NCEES record, is that just the exam verification or is it the whole shebang?

Thanks.

@CAPLS tagging our resident authority ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Working on my application and it says I need to submit fingerprints.  The FAQ says I don't need to submit if I've already done so for the EIT.  There is no box to check saying that I've already submitted, only whether I'm using cards or LiveScan.  Can someone confirm that I don't need to resubmit?

Also, it is saying that I need to submit NCEES record, is that just the exam verification or is it the whole shebang?

Thanks.

I Have Same Exact Questions ..

Unless they want you to include a copy of the Live Scan you did for the FE/EIT. In that case we can check the "Live Scan form included (no fee)" box. For the NCEES, I'm guessing it's just the Exam Verification or the "Result Notice". But I don't prefer to assume, so I might call the board and get clarification on this.

image.png

I talked to the board, per their instructions I submitted a photocopy of my EIT live scan with a note on it "For reference, submitted with EIT application"

I just talked with the board as well.  They said just make a note of previous fingerprint submission with EIT number.

They also said just print and submit the result notifications pages.  They didn’t know why it said the whole record.  I suspect, but don’t know, that it’s for the people applying by comity.

Edit:  I did fingerprint cards.  Not livescan for the record.

@fyrfytr310 they said that will work, even from out of state? Did you take your EIT in CA?

Dang.

I had ordered the fingerprint cards nearly 3 weeks ago. They were a no show.

I ordered some more on Monday. I'm hoping they don't get lost and get here at the same time as my last reference letter (which was also a pain - at least for my oldest qualifying engagement)

Is there any available data for processing times after an application is considered complete?  My employer wants to start advertising/performing electrical engineering services and can't until I'm licensed.  Kinda feels like yet one final "welcome to the suck"

I've seen some people on EB say that it took over 3 months...

However, they were civil and it may have had to do with the seismic and surveying exams that they have to take in addition to the PE. It also sounded like the board stalled on the application progress until the applicants followed up with them.

However, from BPELSG:

"You must allow a minimum of 60 days from when you submit your application before you contact the Board to ask about the status of your application. If you have not received any communication from the Board after the initial 60-day period, you may contact the Board's Licensing Unit at (916) 263-2222 or via email"

So, yeah, probably 2-3 months, but much like NCEES I think this is just a blanket CYA statement.

@fyrfytr310 Were the fingerprint cards generic? Or did they have anything particular pertaining to California or the PE on them? I'm wondering if I can just buy some standard fingerprint cards and use them instead. I'd rather submit my application sooner than later, and would hate to get sleighted by BPELSG or USPS again...

Did it look like this?

41qDfXG0exL.jpg

@fyrfytr310 Were the fingerprint cards generic? Or did they have anything particular pertaining to California or the PE on them? I'm wondering if I can just buy some standard fingerprint cards and use them instead. I'd rather submit my application sooner than later, and would hate to get sleighted by BPELSG or USPS again...

Did it look like this?

41qDfXG0exL.jpg
Man I don't honestly remember.  I feel like they had a sticker on the top with all the contact info for the board but your form looks very familiar.

That said, based on BPELSG website faq, I'd request them from the board:

It might be helpful to know that I was able to go to a FastFingerPrints service near me in Ohio (instead of law enforcement) and it went through just fine.   https://www.fastfingerprints.com/Public/

I don’t live in California; how can I get paper fingerprint cards?

If you live out-of-state, you may request a set of fingerprint cards via our online request form. You will receive two (2) traditional paper fingerprint cards approved to be used in California. Please allow up to 10 business days to receive the fingerprint cards in the mail.
You will take the fingerprint cards to your local law enforcement agency to have your fingerprints rolled (a rolling fee may be required). Both fingerprint cards must be submitted to the Board upon submittal of application for licensure or certification. The background check must be completed before a license or certificate can be issued.

I called them yesterday and they say if you submitted your Finger prints for the EIT, you dont need to include anything related to fingerprinting in the pack you send since they will just look up your profile in their system and see you had submitted before.

If you want to play it safe, attached a paper explain you  have submitted before and note your EIT number on it, it will be more than enough.

I called them yesterday and they say if you submitted your Finger prints for the EIT, you dont need to include anything related to fingerprinting in the pack you send since they will just look up your profile in their system and see you had submitted before.

If you want to play it safe, attached a paper explain you  have submitted before and note your EIT number on it, it will be more than enough.
There is a section on the PE application where you can explain anything you want on the app.  I’m going to use that.

Welp...

I reached out to BPELSG to see if there was anyway that I could substitute the fingerprint card. No response. Went ahead and bought those fingerprint cards that I posted earlier just in case.  Then I checked the mail and found that they FINALLY delivered my BPELSG cards. Crisis averted.

Still curious to see if they WOULD let me substitute or not.

I will be in California one month from now. So my new questions is... Would it be faster to submit my fingerprint cards now with my application, or wait and use the livescan and submit my application in a month?

Thanks.

If you previously provided fingerprints to the Board during the EIT application submittal, then you don't need to do anything further with your PE application submittal.  The system has that information.

NCEES Record is NOT required in California.  However, if you passed any of the NCEES exams listed under a state other than California, you will need to request a verification to be sent to the California Board.  That can be accomplished through your MyNCEES account.

Welp...

I reached out to BPELSG to see if there was anyway that I could substitute the fingerprint card. No response. Went ahead and bought those fingerprint cards that I posted earlier just in case.  Then I checked the mail and found that they FINALLY delivered my BPELSG cards. Crisis averted.

Still curious to see if they WOULD let me substitute or not.

I will be in California one month from now. So my new questions is... Would it be faster to submit my fingerprint cards now with my application, or wait and use the livescan and submit my application in a month?
For all of you asking about LiveScan vs. submitting cards.....LiveScan is only available within California.  If you are outside of California, you must request the cards, pay the fee and mail those back to the Board.

Reason....for fingerprints to be submitted to the California Department of Justice (who in turn provides the reports to the Board), you can only use LiveScan centers located in California.  Otherwise, you would be wasting your time and money.

I've heard that some that are relatively close to California (i.e., Reno, Las Vegas, etc.) you can drive into California to submit your fingerprints, but I am unable to confirm whether this is valid or not.

Back