Dungeons & Dragons

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to believe it you'd find another gamer on a site called engineerboards.com, amirite? ;)
images

I actually had a great D&D session last night. Decided to pick it back up again after several years. 😁
I am running a 3.5 campaign, I even built a digital game board, makes importing game maps from Pintrest and game sites.  What version are you running?

I've switched over to Pathfinder years ago. My groups had no desire to go to 4e, never bothered to look at 5e.

I've switched over to Pathfinder years ago. My groups had no desire to go to 4e, never bothered to look at 5e.
Have played them all, never cared for 4th, 5e is great for Conventions.  We played Pathfinder for years, I only went to 3.5 because I have piles of modules, even most of the Living Greyhawk.

I am running a 3.5 campaign, I even built a digital game board, makes importing game maps from Pintrest and game sites.  What version are you running?
5e

Been so long that I am essentially starting from scratch. Found a local group that campaigns together who share hosting duties. Luckily their newest campaign just recently started so I only had to level up to 4 which means I didn't really miss too much. I started with a half-elf Rogue and am trying to determine an Archtype and whether I add a Feat or just level up. Also debating going with a dual-class wizard/warlock.

Last edited by a moderator:
5e

Been so long that I am essentially starting from scratch. Found a local group that campaigns together who share hosting duties. Luckily their newest campaign just recently started so I only had to level up to 4 which means I didn't really miss too much. I started with a half-elf Rogue and am trying to determine an Archtype and whether I add a Feat or just level up. Also debating going with a dual-class wizard/warlock.
what does the party need?  To fill out the ranks. 

what does the party need?  To fill out the ranks. 
Not really sure what the need is which is why I'm waiting for the next session to work it out.

My two top choices are:

1) Archane Trickster. The cantrips and spells would compliment the build really well. Could either go with Feat: Resilient (level up CON & get that saving throw) or simply level up both CON and INT to 14 (already have INT and Dex saving throws).
2) Thief with Feat: Magic Initiate. Similar base magic abilities but a more well-rounded Rogue. I heard it's better/easier to play for beginners.

I never played D&D, but a couple of weeks ago a friend invited my son and I over for an introductory session. He's an Army vet so that ameliorated the nerd fears (although I am a nerd). 

It was a ton of fun! We are hoping to play more, except the problem is we were on vacation and my friend doesn't live here :(  

Last summer my youngest started playing at one of his friends houses - we assumed it was all HS kids except I was told one of the kids dad was the DM.

But late summer they needed a place to play so our son let them play on our basement- and I was a little shocked to see that the group that came over was half high school kids and half actual adults- it was weird as we had been at the pool drinking and then all these nerds showed up....

We played Pathfinder for years, I only went to 3.5 because I have piles of modules, even most of the Living Greyhawk.
It's the opposite for me. We sorta played between the two for years, but fully converted to Pathfinder about 10 years ago specifically because they we ran out of 3.5 modules but Paizo is still making new ones for pathfinder.

I actually had a great D&D session last night.
A Monday night game session? I've never been able to do work night games successfully.

Last summer my youngest started playing at one of his friends houses - we assumed it was all HS kids except I was told one of the kids dad was the DM.

But late summer they needed a place to play so our son let them play on our basement- and I was a little shocked to see that the group that came over was half high school kids and half actual adults- it was weird as we had been at the pool drinking and then all these nerds showed up....
The sketchy factor is pretty high there. Unless the adults in the group are the parents, then they have no business playing with the minors.

They were all actually nice folks - just a little extra on the nerd side - they made sure to clean up and took the Time to say thanks -

I was just surprised they weren’t all kids (High Schoolers)

I'm Jelly.  I've always been a dork, but my parents were some of the people caught up in the "D&D = Devil Worship" craze of the early 90's.  The closest I got was playing Magic TG in high school.  One of my college buddies was heavily involved in D&D and Pathfinder.  Apparently he was a co-author on a book laying out a space-themed Pathfinder book that Pathfinder actually compensated the authors for...shortly before they released the official Starfinder rules.

A Monday night game session? I've never been able to do work night games successfully.
Tuesday night, but yeah it went well. It's a full campaign (not a one-shot). Started around 7:30, spent the first 30 min getting my character built/caught-up into the story, then played until 10-10:30. Found a good stopping point, and we'll be back at it again tomorrow night.

Sundays from 1:30 pm to 8 pm.  I have three game tables, one of which has a flat screen table in it to move pdf maps into.  The screen becomes the game board.  One is an oval table for what would be considered "family games" and the third is a bar height 4 x 8 table I use for battle / strategy games. 

I have three game tables, one of which has a flat screen table in it to move pdf maps into.
I'm thinking of implementing something like this. How effective is it? Do you have protective layer of some kind? Between die rolls, food, and heavy books being thrown around I can't imagine a flatscreen lasting too long.

I never played DnD when i was younger, due to nerds being really frowned upon/it not being healthy in my high school.  I recently started playing with a couple of friends, only it's a Midnight campaign (where the bad guys have won, you can't have 'real' weapons, and life is just horrible).  It's really fun!  We try to meet up once a month, but life gets in the way.  Plus, since it's Midnight, there is a lot of people in our group killing other people in our group so they won't be sacrificed for a tithe.  It's actually really complex and I love it!

Back