Texas PE - Civil Structural

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Skillet

Reaction score
Anyone else taking the exam April 2019?

I was hoping we could compare study materials and get some dialogue going about what to bring/expect. I'll start...

What did I study?

Cerm (latest), Structural Depth Reference Manual by Williams, School of PE notes (ancient), A book of practice questions by Gruttadauria.

What am I planning to bring?

Cerm, IBC, ASCE, AISC, ACI, steel textbook, concrete textbook, notes & practice questions, and that's it.

+ Calculator & watch and that's it for extras.

I would estimate I have done about 70 morning practice problems and 150 afternoon problems.

What are you guys doing and what do you think of what I've done?

- Matt

I was hoping we could compare study materials and get some dialogue going about what to bring/expect. I'll start...

What did I study?

Cerm (latest), Structural Depth Reference Manual by Williams, School of PE notes (ancient), A book of practice questions by Gruttadauria.

Cerm, IBC, ASCE, AISC, ACI, steel textbook, concrete textbook, notes & practice questions, and that's it.

I would estimate I have done about 70 morning practice problems and 150 afternoon problems.

- Matt
Gave up on the Civil/Structural. Taking CIvil/Water Resources, BUT, make sure ASCE / ACI / and AISC are the correct editions. I would really try to get PCI, NDS and TMS the referenced edition. It comes in handy. OSHA and AASHTO problems will be there, so just bear in mind. For your wind loads, be familiar with MWFRS and Components and  Cladding. And of course Seismic in ASCE 7-10. I did twice that many problems and still no green tag, so I would guess as long as you did enough is what matters. I compiled a set of summary equation sheets to quickly access equations needed for the depth. If you are interested in  a copy I'd be glad to email you one. Just send me PM. I took 3 calculators. Casio fx-991. Im really focusing on the morning. Good Luck! 

What did I study?

- Matt
I have the same reference i'm planning to bring in addition to my EET breadth/depth binders. I suggest you also bring along NDS and CMU books (you can use scribd to get a copy of them).

For morning i've done the NCEES 2008, 2011 and 2018 exams. In addition to the Civil Pe Practice 2 breadth exams (though these were really easy and just a confidence booster)

For depth i've done the NCEES 2011 and 2018 exams and the Structrual Depth Civil Practice Exams by James Giancaspro.

If you want a copy of the older NCEES let me know.

Hemi, thanks for the good luck and best of luck yourself with water resources.

Manimani, I would love a copy of the older exams. Are they very different than the current version? How can you trade files here? Is it acceptable to post them in this forum?

Thanks for the responses guys. Are you feeling pretty good about the exam?

How did it go guys, broke any sweat or encountered anything unexpected?
I am planning for the Oct 2019. Which resources helped the most or was the closest to the actual PE exam?

EET Breadth covered almost all the questions give or take 5.

EET Depth i did not find useful for the Depth portion.

Thank you for your reply.
How do you feel about the depth section, do you think you solved the most part of it?
And did the structural depth reference manual and the practice exams suffice the preparation or refreshing the basic concepts of each subjects would be necessary?

-Rhytham

As others have stated on these boards (and now having written the PE and finally finding out for myself) the structural depth is quite different than any other practice exams you might take.

Best way to prepare is to be familiar with the loads (snow, rain, wind, seismic from ASCE and IBC). Practice a crap load of structural mechanic and analysis of determinate/indeterminate beams.

Once you feel pretty confident on those two subjects, pray to god you get a good draw.

And if you don't believe in god, ~ namaste friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this helps, but my cousin said he tried a subscription for some civil engineering help. He was super nervous about the whole thing. Some of his friends from college really rallied around and helped by going through attics and basements for their old textbooks. He really has a set of good friends!

Back