Open Wye - Open Delta

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Question: "A three-phase transformer bank is to handle 500 kVA and have a 34.5/11-kV voltage ratio. Find the rating of each individual transformer in the bank (high voltage, low voltage, turns ratio, and apparent power) if the transformer bank is connected to open wye—open delta."

My ans:

HV: 19.9KV

LV: 11 KV

a: 1.81

S: 288KVA

FYI, i only have question no solution. Question seems so challenging cuz i have not practice problems regarding the title. So somebody please teach me. Are my answers correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: "A three-phase transformer bank is to handle 500 kVA and have a 34.5/11-kV voltage ratio. Find the rating of each individual transformer in the bank (high voltage, low voltage, turns ratio, and apparent power) if the transformer bank is connected to open wye—open delta."

My ans:

HV: 19.9KV

LV: 11 KV

a: 1.81

S: 288KVA

FYI, i only have question no solution. Question seems so challenging cuz i have not practice problems regarding the title. So somebody please teach me. Are my answers correct?
Here is one of my favorite articles we currently have on our site. If you work your way through the article I promise you'll be able to figure this question out without much trouble:

Electrical PE Review - Open Delta Transformer Connection

Feel free to print out the article and take it with you to the PE exam as reference material. 

Here is one of my favorite articles we currently have on our site. If you work your way through the article I promise you'll be able to figure this question out without much trouble:

Feel free to print out the article and take it with you to the PE exam as reference material. 
Thank you Zach for the attachment, and happy to say that is what i followed.

I believe Open wye must be the same approach like open delta that you have mentioned.

I wonder if some one agree with my above answers so that i can know i am in right track .

Zach,

I also appreciate the link. Is it possible for you to provide a printer-friendly version of this & any of your articles?

Back