What are your thoughts on this? MA Gas explosion, no PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, I grew up in the Northeast, my parents grew up between Boston and the Cape. I have grandparents and Uncles still there. We stopped near Andover in August on the way to Logan

Of all the "ridiculous" rules and standards I have seen in my travels through MA I assumed there was 2 PE stamps on any project like this in MA. This is a state that requires a State Police Officer and cruiser for what seems like any roadwork repair or construction. I have an uncle that works for the town water department and another that is a firefighter/EMT. They both constantly note how bureaucracy and useless rules drain budgets and don't allow them to get anything accomplished.

When this happened my wife and I discussed how this could happen and compared it to our neighborhood/gas distribution facility. One of the things I mentioned was "I guess that stamper/approver/PE is done". Turned out I was wrong. After reading this article it seems like the company failed: "The NTSB says the utility's work plans failed to mention a pressure-sensing feedback line. When the old main was taken out of service, a regulator station sensed the loss of pressure and pumped more gas into the line." and "But after an unexplained change in process four years ago, the utility no longer puts technicians in place to monitor pressures on the ground — and to respond to an over-pressure event by manually shutting off the gas, the NTSB said." Both of those cost money, maybe they had a good reason to not spend that money. I think its pretty clear that they would be a lot of dollars ahead right now if they did...

Thanks for sending out the article. Interested in hearing from people that work closer to this field.

Hmm, thanks for posting. Sounds like a lot of mismanagement and lack of due diligence by the gas company. Hopefully the changes to the regulations, even if not mandatory, will address this. Perhaps they should make it mandatory, while they're at it.

I saw this.  Personally, I can't say I'm for adding new regulation and advocating "government" oversight.  @mudpuppy and other working for utilities are better suited to address industry self-regulation.  No one would consciously set up a situation like this.  We are all becoming more and more dependent on automate systems to monitor conditions and although I have no specific data, I suspect there are numerous examples of where taking the human aspect out of the equation results in a safer and more reliable system.  More regulations are not the answer.  Also I agree that MA is one of the most regulated states in the country.

This was a tragic situation and some people are still without gas months after.

ENR has an article on this today. Here's a paragraph from it:

The board also called for removing exemptions in 31 states—including Alaska, Arizona, Connecticut, Maine, and New York—so that all future natural gas infrastructure projects require licensed professional engineer approval and stamping. Massachusetts only adopted such a requirement after the disaster. “It’s important to note that in all 50 states you have to have a license to cut hair, “said Bruce Landsberg, NTSB vice chairman, “but you can design a gas system that affects public safety and 31 states exempt you from having a license or even an engineering degree.”

Back