101 Solved Environmental Engineering Problems - Pollution Control Processes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txjennah PE

UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ
Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has this text and understands question 3.1 of the Pollution Control Processes section (page 108). I'm having a hard time understanding why the solution uses this particular equation. Thank you!

I took pictures but they are all blurry. GRR. This is what happens when you try to do something at 6 AM.

I'll post something tonight. Thanks all!

So here is the problem:

An industrial activity produces a gas flow of 10m^3/s with the particulate particle size distribution shown in the following table.  The average particle specific weight is 2, and the gas temperature is 100 degrees Celsius.  A 1.0 m conventional cyclone will be used to control the particulate emissions.  Assume a volume shape factor of 0.9.

Table:

Particle Size (um)                    % Mass

0-10                                            10
10-20                                           34
20-30                                           43
30-40                                           13

Then it asks for the following:

3.1  What diameter particle will be removed to 100% by the cyclone?
3.2 What is the terminal settling velocity of the particle removed to 100% by the cyclone?
3.3  What is the overall removal efficiency of the cyclone?

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT:  Found the equations, thanks for everyone's help.  Now let's see if I can solve the problem...:)

kmill23 said:
Check the Environmental FE reference manual if you have one available. I borrowed it it from a friend and returned it already otherwise I’d check to see if those other equations are in there. 

I remember the equation for effective number of turns for a cyclone was inconsistent in my references  I wonder if those equations are also kinda reference-specific  
Thanks.  I checked but they're not in there, unfortunately.

My workplace had a USEPA-approved training course on control of particulate emissions a few weeks ago. I’ll check the course notes to see if there’s something that’ll help.

Edit: 

@txjennah if you’re interested, I can scan the chapter on cyclones from the course and PM a link to you (if you don’t mind my scribbles). Better to be last-minute than not sharing anything that could be useful. 

Also, the “best” equation for effective number of turns is in Cooper & Alley, 4th ed.  I say “best” because it’s what NCEES uses for their solution in their practice exam.

My workplace had a USEPA-approved training course on control of particulate emissions a few weeks ago. I’ll check the course notes to see if there’s something that’ll help.

Edit: 

@txjennah if you’re interested, I can scan the chapter on cyclones from the course and PM a link to you (if you don’t mind my scribbles). Better to be last-minute than not sharing anything that could be useful. 

Also, the “best” equation for effective number of turns is in Cooper & Alley, 4th ed.  I say “best” because it’s what NCEES uses for their solution in their practice exam.
That would be wonderful @In/PE/Out, thank you so much!!

Back