CA GE Prometric Fee

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jijir83

Expert in everything useless
Reaction score
Does anyone on here know what the fee for Prometric is for the GE exam in CA?

The board's site says to check the Prometric site. Prometric only lists their $40 for rescheduling the exam, not the actual test fee. When you call their 800 number, no human answers. When you call the nearest testing center (Fair Oaks for example), they say they don't deal with billing and to check with the board.

Now, this is not a big deal for most but we get reimbursed at our job but we first have to submit the estimated cost. If you say $65 and it turns out $650, you're out the difference even when you show proof of payment. 

I'll post this in Geotech also and maybe someone can give a ballpark for their most recent exam. If you found a way to find that cost also, please share.

Thanks!

The board's site says to check the Prometric site. Prometric only lists their $40 for rescheduling the exam, not the actual test fee. When you call their 800 number, no human answers. When you call the nearest testing center (Fair Oaks for example), they say they don't deal with billing and to check with the board.

Now, this is not a big deal for most but we get reimbursed at our job but we first have to submit the estimated cost. If you say $65 and it turns out $650, you're out the difference even when you show proof of payment. 

Can someone  give a ballpark for their most recent exam? If you found a way to find that cost also, please share.

Thanks!

Can someone  give a ballpark for their most recent exam? If you found a way to find that cost also, please share.

Thanks!
https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/application_fees.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
and on the other location you posted this same question, someone said the prometric fee for the civil/surveying was around $67. i almost went crazy bc i was like i swear i responded to this. it would be nice give people a chance to respond before posting the same question in multiple spots. :)  

I deleted my response. Definitely don't want to have the wrong info floating about. Thanks for merging them @leggo PE
i think yours might be accurate though. on the site i linked, it had an asterisk that additional fees occur at prometric. i'm assuming it's the same price for each supplemental exam. I overlooked it because there was no asterisk on any of the specific exams in the list.

i think yours might be accurate though. on the site i linked, it had an asterisk that additional fees occur at prometric. i'm assuming it's the same price for each supplemental exam. I overlooked it because there was no asterisk on any of the specific exams in the list.
Waiiitttt that's bogus! What does that asterisk apply to? There is literally not a single exam that has an asterisk next to it on the entire page.

Waiiitttt that's bogus! What does that asterisk apply to? There is literally not a single exam that has an asterisk next to it on the entire page.
The asterisk applies to any test taken at Prometric. The $150 is to the state. The $67 (could be more or less for different tests) is what you pay when registering with Prometric. 

I'll post this in Geotech also and maybe someone can give a ballpark for their most recent exam. If you found a way to find that cost also, please share.

Thanks!
I just went. it was about $500

There isn't a specific section where I could have posted this so I tried to cover it by putting it under Geotech and CA survey/seismic in hopes that someone with answers would see it. I figured an admin would move it. I did make a note at the end and said that's what I was doing. In any event, thanks for categorizing properly and responding.

Now... The $150 is for the state and the * is additional to Prometric. The actual fee to take the test is no where to be found. It's just a mad loop going back and forth. From taking the PE, I know Prometric charged $65 for each 2-hour state exam (Seismic and Survey). But for the GE, which is 8 hours I think (this is not for me), I can't imagine it being just $65. No one can give an answer so I'm trying to get an idea from someone who has taken it recently so my co-worker can have an estimate for reimbursement.

Sounds like @ME_VT_PE just took it at Prometric and was charged $500 just to take it at their facilities. I'll tell him to go with that. The board, Prometric customer service, Prometric local office... none of them is giving him an answer. One says to ask the other.

Thanks!

That's just the state. Does not include the CBT/Prometric place's fee. So there's a $125 application fee, $150 state exam fee, $49 livescan/fingerprint, $12-20 to the place that takes the livescan, then $XXX to Prometric to actually sit at the computer. Sounds like that $XXX = $500. That's the part no one is telling. You only find out once you apply to the board and have a number and can sign up/pay for an exam date. The problem is he has to report that fee to work first to be approved for reimbursement. Otherwise you'd just get your sticker shock when you apply. The PE state exams at Prometric were only $61 or $65 when I took it. I figured GE would be more expensive. Didn't thing $500 though.

There isn't a specific section where I could have posted this so I tried to cover it by putting it under Geotech and CA survey/seismic in hopes that someone with answers would see it. I figured an admin would move it. I did make a note at the end and said that's what I was doing. In any event, thanks for categorizing properly and responding.

Now... The $150 is for the state and the * is additional to Prometric. The actual fee to take the test is no where to be found. It's just a mad loop going back and forth. From taking the PE, I know Prometric charged $65 for each 2-hour state exam (Seismic and Survey). But for the GE, which is 8 hours I think (this is not for me), I can't imagine it being just $65. No one can give an answer so I'm trying to get an idea from someone who has taken it recently so my co-worker can have an estimate for reimbursement.

Sounds like @ME_VT_PE just took it at Prometric and was charged $500 just to take it at their facilities. I'll tell him to go with that. The board, Prometric customer service, Prometric local office... none of them is giving him an answer. One says to ask the other.

Thanks!
The majority of the fee was to cover the polygraph, which is mandatory...

I'm going to guess you're trying to make a joke or you didn't take it in CA. I guess he'll find out when he goes in.

I'm going to guess you're trying to make a joke or you didn't take it in CA. I guess he'll find out when he goes in.
I took the exam in Sacramento and had my appointment at the Prometric Center near UC Davis the day before. I dont joke JiJir...

Thanks!
It sounds like you are referring to the seat fee which Prometric charges all exam takers.  This is paid during the time of scheduling as it changes exam to exam and is based primarily upon the amount of time you are occupying the "seat".  The CA GE exam is 8 hours long and when you count in the optional break halfway through, you are paying for somewhere between 8-9 hours of seat time.  Best estimate would be about $180. 

If you send me a private message, I can get you the exact cost for you seeking reimbursement.

Thanks for clearing all of this up, @CAPLS!

Kind of annoying it changes every exam, but I suppose that's completely up to Prometric and they can do whatever they want in this situation.

Back