Simplified LRFD Bridge Design 6th Ed. By Kim VS FHWA Bridge Examples - Structural - Engineer Boards Jump to content
Engineer Boards

Simplified LRFD Bridge Design 6th Ed. By Kim VS FHWA Bridge Examples

I'm trying to prepare for the SE Bridge exam and started working through the 'Simplified LRFD Bridge Design' book for example problems. In the first design example the author finds all the interior and exterior girders and determines the longitudinal moments. For dead load moments equal shares of the total are applied to each girder. 

Then he considers the dead load transversely as a continuous beam across the girders to recalculate maximum moments on interior and exterior girders.  

The exterior beam under consideration in the transverse slab-continuous-beam analysis has the maximum moment which he carries against distribution factors for final design.

I'm wondering if its typical to do the second transverse analysis, and if it wouldn't be a torsional force. 
In the FHWA bridge load calculation examples I don't see that transverse second continuous beam analysis for maximum moments.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.