What Stamp Type Will You Buy?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RPS

Self inking?  Standard? Pre-inked?  Will you buy the electronic copy, with or without signature?  

I went with pre inked and an electronic autocad without signature. 

Pre inked leaves a better stamp (generally speaking) and no signature because im paranoid of shady project managers abusing my seal.

(Illegal yes, but PMs are usually more concerned about getting things out rather then dealing with formalities... especially if they arent educated in the significance of what they are doing.)

They have a preference on ink types, or is thst in regards to electronic type?
Yes.

Some states will only allow crimping, some will only allow ink stamps. Some states allow either. Some require both. I know of at least one state the requires you to purchase something physical to stamp or crimp. Some states don't allow electronic stamps. Some states require a second legal disclaimer statement stamp* in addition to the normal stamp. It feels like there are 55 different sets of rules.

*This may be handwritten in at least one jurisdiction.

I ended up buying the electronic version of my stamp and the stamp that I need an ink pad for. I dont see myself using the ink pad stamp really a whole lot since 99% of the clients we work with allow electronic stamping. I didnt give them my signature to put in my electronic stamp but that is something I can do pretty easily. 

i like the flippy aroundy ones because i feel so assertive stamping, like BAM you're stamped, BAM you're stamped...which I only do on my codes and manuals..but still!

giphy.gif

I just got the 'Self-Inking', which is supposedly good for about 10 to 20 thousand impressions before getting blurry.

I thought about the flip-around one, but I've dealt with both the self-inking and flips in the past, and I found that the flips began to dry up in about 2-years while the self-inking didn't seem to have the problem.  My Notary Seal from nearly 15-years ago is self-inking and it is still going strong.

The only think I would caution with the self-inking is to always use a hard and very surface under the paper to get the best impressions.  I found those glass shelves from old medicine cabinets work extremely well.

I do however plan on getting more than one in the future however, since those that use a regular ink pad like two of my other business Stamps, can be refreshed very easily by simply buying a new pad.  I actually like using my 'Gold' ink pad when Stamping on very dark paper, especially some of the Dark green stationary I have  :)  

I just got the 'Self-Inking', which is supposedly good for about 10 to 20 thousand impressions before getting blurry.

I thought about the flip-around one, but I've dealt with both the self-inking and flips in the past, and I found that the flips began to dry up in about 2-years while the self-inking didn't seem to have the problem.  My Notary Seal from nearly 15-years ago is self-inking and it is still going strong.

The only think I would caution with the self-inking is to always use a hard and very surface under the paper to get the best impressions.  I found those glass shelves from old medicine cabinets work extremely well.

I do however plan on getting more than one in the future however, since those that use a regular ink pad like two of my other business Stamps, can be refreshed very easily by simply buying a new pad.  I actually like using my 'Gold' ink pad when Stamping on very dark paper, especially some of the Dark green stationary I have  :)  
I was able to get extra ink to refill the self-inking stamp as well. Might also work for yours.

But then again, I don't find myself using ink to apply my seal any longer with the digital variety that are now available and in addition to being able to apply a digital signature. YMMV

Back