HCM 2010 vs. 6th

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ulua808

Reaction score
Are there big changes between the two? Could one get by using HCM 2010 on the October 2018 exam?

Okay so now I'm a little confused as the TRB site states "*Important note* Professional engineering exams have not been updated to include information from the HCM Sixth Edition. Individuals seeking to use the Highway Capacity Manual to prepare for their exams should purchase the HCM2010." although the new Specifications call for the HCM 6th edition.

I have just written to TRB to obtain clarification.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use whatever the NCEES syllabus tell you to use. Do NOT differentiate between references.

My coworker is taking the EET depth class for Oct 2018. I compared my HCM notes from this past April (HCM 2010) with his (HCM 6). There are some major changes that I saw. The HCM is a good percentage of the test. I would recommend buying the latest reference. It could be the difference between passing and failing if you use an outdated method, table, equation, etc to answer the question. The test makers know people use old refs, so sometimes there is an answer there for an older method, but its not the right answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the lack of reply but was busy with work and wih studying. Yes, the exam did use the 6th version and there are notable changes between 2010 and the 6th version.

I find some resources online about the changes as follows. But based on this source, I do not think there are a notable changes related to PE exam since PE exam focused on different areas?

http://www.mikeontraffic.com/9-changes-6th-edition-highway-capacity-manual/

More Capacity at Roundabouts
Addition of Alternative Intersections
Addition of Free Right Turn Lanes at Signalized Intersections
Addition of Auxiliary Through Lanes at Intersections
Addition of Diverging Diamonds
Addition of Work Zone Capacity Analysis
Addition of Managed Lanes
Adding Adjustment Factors for Weather & Incidents
Tweaking Level of Service A threshold for Urban Streets

I saw a lot of people with the 2010 edition for the April 2019 exam. They might have been okay but people were getting different answers for School of PE questions when I took the class so I would not risk it.

I saw a lot of people with the 2010 edition for the April 2019 exam. They might have been okay but people were getting different answers for School of PE questions when I took the class so I would not risk it.
likewise for me that i saw quite a few with 5th edition. the fun thing is I got my 6th edition through my public library. you should check to see if you can borrow it from the library than buy it at the last resort. I ordered it on Amazon and did not have to open the box and returned it straight back.

Do not take the old hcm into that exam room you will be disappointed lol. Your answers will be incorrect. I waited till a week before to buy mine, and Im glad I did. Now Im ready to sell it lol

Back