TX PE - Apply through NCEES or through

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtparker

Reaction score
I am not sure if I should apply through the TBPE website or go straight through the NCEES website. I’ve noticed on the NCEES website for job experience you can only put about 700 words for one job under job experience and I have about 11 pages on my ser so I would need to condense it by a lot. However I just wanted to know everyone’s experience. If it would be faster to go through NCEES or TBPE. 

I am not sure if I should apply through the TBPE website or go straight through the NCEES website. I’ve noticed on the NCEES website for job experience you can only put about 700 words for one job under job experience and I have about 11 pages on my ser so I would need to condense it by a lot. However I just wanted to know everyone’s experience. If it would be faster to go through NCEES or TBPE. 
Do you mean the PE application?

I applied from TBPE, and I am not sure if you can apply through NCEES. I remembered I registered exam there only.

I applied via the NCEES council record for initial license... I found it to be very easy. I think that it simplified the SER process, I was worried about what to write on that and the word limit on NCEES forced me to be concise and just hit the highlights of my career. I'd recommend the NCEES record route, it was worth the extra 100$.

also, it made it much easier on all of my references since they could just go in and answer 3 questions and submit my referal in less than 5 minutes.

How long did your application process take?  Still around the 6-8 week lead time. Or was it quicker? 

weeeeeeelllllllllllllll that's a different story... my reviewer had some sort of delay that didn't seem to be related to my application method... not sure what happened but yeah all said and done it was a 9 week process. Probably 7-8 of them were on the TBPE side.

I would go through TBPE; however, if you're planning on holding licenses from multiple states then I would go through NCEES.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. Good luck.

I have both applications going since I am going to be licensed in multiple states, every board member I talked to said that I would need to fill out the Texas application regardless so that's what I am doing and also, in Texas you still have to get your criminal history report and fingerprints submitted. TBPE should have everything in a few days though via mail, just waiting on my SER and Ethics Exam Results to get there. However, How long did it take for NCEES to review your experience? Is it really the 7-14 days? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both applications going since I am going to be licensed in multiple states, every board member I talked to said that I would need to fill out the Texas application regardless so that's what I am doing and also, in Texas you still have to get your criminal history report and fingerprints submitted. TBPE should have everything in a few days though via mail, just waiting on my SER and Ethics Exam Results to get there. However, How long did it take for NCEES to review your experience? Is it really the 7-14 days? 
It took me around 10 days to get everything reviewed by NCEES.

It took me around 10 days to get everything reviewed by NCEES.
After getting your initial license and having the NCEES record completed, how long does it take for other state licensing boards to approve you? Do you have to wait the 2-1/2 months for the approval of each state (even though you can transmit to all 50 states at once)?

After getting your initial license and having the NCEES record completed, how long does it take for other state licensing boards to approve you? Do you have to wait the 2-1/2 months for the approval of each state (even though you can transmit to all 50 states at once)?
first off I would not transmit to all 50 states at once that would cost $3,775. Not even counting the registration fees for each state.

That being said getting a license by comity using the council record will vary state to state. Mostly though it should be in the ballpark of a few weeks tops, maybe even a week in some states. The NCEES record greatly speeds up the process. Texas is notoriously slow because they have strict requirements and don't technically do license by comity, they just accept test results from other states.

first off I would not transmit to all 50 states at once that would cost $3,775. Not even counting the registration fees for each state.

That being said getting a license by comity using the council record will vary state to state. Mostly though it should be in the ballpark of a few weeks tops, maybe even a week in some states. The NCEES record greatly speeds up the process. Texas is notoriously slow because they have strict requirements and don't technically do license by comity, they just accept test results from other states. 
Awesome, thank you for the info, I am glad to know its not another 2-1/2 months for more licensing after waiting 2-1/2 months for the first. I just want this process to go as fast as possible like everyone else. You are correct it would be ridiculous to apply to all, I am only going to transmit to three other states after Texas; Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia. 

Awesome, thank you for the info, I am glad to know its not another 2-1/2 months for more licensing after waiting 2-1/2 months for the first. I just want this process to go as fast as possible like everyone else. You are correct it would be ridiculous to apply to all, I am only going to transmit to three other states after Texas; Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia. 
yeah a coworker of mine applied for a Michigan license on a Tuesday and was licensed by the next Monday via NCEES. It shouldn't be long after that first one, everything is bigger in the proud country of Texas... including the wait times.

I had 2 states approve my NCEES transmitted application in a day, others (including TX) took longer. I believe Texas and Florida were the current record holders at about 9-10 weeks. The other 8 were 5 weeks or less for issuing my license.

I am really debating between applying for initial licensure through TBPE or NCEES. I have heard that NCEES is strict with the SER, which is what I am struggling with. I don't do any design work, I just review projects (an average of 6-10 per day), so I don't really have specific projects to detail. On the other hand, it sounds like the reference process is easier with NCEES since it is short and all submitted electronically. I would eventually like to work in another state, so having an NCEES record would be nice. Any additional input about your experience applying initially with NCEES would be helpful. Time is not a huge factor for me.

I am really debating between applying for initial licensure through TBPE or NCEES. I have heard that NCEES is strict with the SER, which is what I am struggling with. I don't do any design work, I just review projects (an average of 6-10 per day), so I don't really have specific projects to detail. On the other hand, it sounds like the reference process is easier with NCEES since it is short and all submitted electronically. I would eventually like to work in another state, so having an NCEES record would be nice. Any additional input about your experience applying initially with NCEES would be helpful. Time is not a huge factor for me.
I applied for licensure through TBPE, not NCEES, so while I can't provide any input on the NCEES process, TBPE is pretty understanding of different kinds of experience.  Like you, I didn't have much design experience, but I listed projects I had requiring calculations, analyzing data, making recommendations based off of data reviews, etc.  

I applied for licensure through TBPE, not NCEES, so while I can't provide any input on the NCEES process, TBPE is pretty understanding of different kinds of experience.  Like you, I didn't have much design experience, but I listed projects I had requiring calculations, analyzing data, making recommendations based off of data reviews, etc.  
I think I will just go through TBPE. I feel like the process is a lot clearer and its not like I can't create an NCEES record later. I am not sure how I would submit my ethics exam score and all that if I went through NCEES. I just did everything kind of backwards because I was just shy of 4 years of experience before the deadline to apply for licensure/approval for the PE. I took advantage of decoupling and took the exam (and passed), so now I get to do all the fun paperwork stuff (although it is way less stressful than studying). I just don't have anything to show for passing yet :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I will just go through TBPE. I feel like the process is a lot clearer and its not like I can't create an NCEES record later. I am not sure how I would submit my ethics exam score and all that if I went through NCEES. I just did everything kind of backwards because I was just shy of 4 years of experience before the deadline to apply for licensure/approval for the PE. I took advantage of decoupling and took the exam (and passed), so now I get to do all the fun paperwork stuff (although it is way less stressful than studying). I just don't have anything to show for passing yet :(
You were smart to take advantage of decoupling! I wish that had been in place when I had my years of experience.  Congratulations! The SER is not fun to pull together, but definitely easier than studying :)   Let me know if you have any questions about it!

Back