CA Seismic

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC Berrelleza

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips or practice problems for the California seismic test. 
Any manuals that I should take with me to the exam. 

Thank you 

Does anyone have any tips or practice problems for the California seismic test. 
Any manuals that I should take with me to the exam. 

Thank you 

This forum didn't help answer those questions? 
default_dunno.gif

I've included a link to a pretty cool tool that I think may help with studying for seismic. They have a seismic calculation module with really clear reports for seismic loads. The trial period is one month, which should give you enough time to study.

https://napior.com

I just took the exam last Friday (4/13). I took the Seismic Design course by Hiner and signed up for the EET CBT exams. I won't give any specifics, but Hiner's manual and practice problems, and the EET practice exams were very representative of the actual test. I know EET has a course but I can't speak to it as I didn't take it.

I just took the exam last Friday (4/13). I took the Seismic Design course by Hiner and signed up for the EET CBT exams. I won't give any specifics, but Hiner's manual and practice problems, and the EET practice exams were very representative of the actual test. I know EET has a course but I can't speak to it as I didn't take it.
Engineeringforfun, I'm assuming you took on the new quarterly basis.  How long did it take for you receive your results?

Engineeringforfun, I'm assuming you took on the new quarterly basis.  How long did it take for you receive your results?
You're correct I took it on the new quarterly basis. I received my results in mid May (5/16). Everyone who took the test in April got them that day. @CAPLS mentioned it before but the goal for the board is to get results back mid-month following the month in which you took the exam. Held true in May, not sure whether results for May testers have gone out yet but i'd expect them this week based on the first month of testing.

Engineeringforfun,

Is there a way to take the EET practice exams without taking the whole course? I just found out I did not pass the seismic exam. I'd already taken an online class and am now just looking for practice exams (CBT ideally).

Thanks

Dina

Engineeringforfun,

Is there a way to take the EET practice exams without taking the whole course? I just found out I did not pass the seismic exam. I'd already taken an online class and am now just looking for practice exams (CBT ideally).

Thanks

Dina
You can buy the practice exam book here http://www.eetusa.com/books/seismic-textbook it has 3 practice exams that for me were more than sufficient for the actual exam, the course offers only 1 additional practice exam .. I Highly recommend to buy this practice exam https://www.amazon.com/Civil-Practice-Exam-California-Principles/dp/1722837268/ref=asc_df_1722837268/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312202813865&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10338634394333723150&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031921&hvtargid=pla-569810265003&psc=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Vip-Eng,

Thank you so much for this advice. I will purchase both and keep my fingers crossed for the second time around.

Regards,

Dina

Another question I'd like to put out there to the forum, is it possible to ask the board to reassess a test score for the CA Seismic Exam? I answered 42 questions and was pretty sure about a lot of them yet failed the exam. I was wondering if there is any way to gauge whether the test results were actually correct.

Thanks

Dina

Another question I'd like to put out there to the forum, is it possible to ask the board to reassess a test score for the CA Seismic Exam? I answered 42 questions and was pretty sure about a lot of them yet failed the exam. I was wondering if there is any way to gauge whether the test results were actually correct.

Thanks

Dina
@CAPLS would definitely has an answer. 

But I would guess there is no-way.

Thanks

Dina
What materials did you use to study for seismic? 

I took Hiner's course, which I thought was very good.  Didn't do anything beyond that. 
I highly recommend you buy EET practice exams which come with EET cheat sheets that for me are far better than Hiner’s cheat sheet they are priceless. 

Hiner's book with EET practice exam and Civil PE Practice Exam  and you should be good. Did you pass the survey exam? 
@Dina_Sh I'll piggyback off @vip-eng here. Everything VIP has recommended is spot on. I would focus on doing problems as quickly as possible and being quick with locating equations/references. 

To answer one of your earlier questions, i don't believe there's anyway to re-score the exam. Do as many practice problems as you can and i'm sure you'll pass on the next attempt!

Thank you Engineeringforfun and VIP. I got the sample exams covered  but are there sample problem books out there that are good?

VIP I only signed up for seismic,  didn't think three months was enough time to study for both tests. I'm taking this quarter to retake seismic, and when I pass I'll sign up for Surveying.  Did you pass your seismic exam? 

Thank you Engineeringforfun and VIP. I got the sample exams covered  but are there sample problem books out there that are good?

VIP I only signed up for seismic,  didn't think three months was enough time to study for both tests. I'm taking this quarter to retake seismic, and when I pass I'll sign up for Surveying.  Did you pass your seismic exam? 
I took the seismic two weeks ago. 

EET has a seismic book and Exams. The book has tons of good practice problems. 

Back