Switching Depths

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mari15nn

Reaction score
Hello!! I saw a discussion before in regards to switching depths for PE Civil Exam but it seems to have been left too far behind with all the new topics. So I thought I'd open a new one as I'd really use some advice here. I really appreciate it in advance.

I was a first time taker this past October 2017 and failed in Civil:Geotech. I got 20/40 in the afternoon so I've been thinking on switching depths. I chose Geotech in the first place cause I've had some work experience in the past with slope stability modelling and other geotech tasks, however, we usually subcontract a geotechnical firm to do the work for us. I also did my undergrad research in geotech as well. Plus, I really love and enjoy geotech. However, after seeing the questions I got in the afternoon I'm starting to think that only an engineer who works everyday in a geotechnical firm has a better chance on passing the exam on this particular depth. Does anybody have comments/advice on this? I really appreciate it!

As an alternative, I was considering doing the depth on WRE, but some people tell me that the worst I can do at this point is switching depths, so I just don't know what to do. I'm thinking on retaking the exam this next April 2018. 

Thanks!! and Congratulations to all who passed, and good wishes and luck to all of us who are still trying...

Hello!! I saw a discussion before in regards to switching depths for PE Civil Exam but it seems to have been left too far behind with all the new topics. So I thought I'd open a new one as I'd really use some advice here. I really appreciate it in advance.

I was a first time taker this past October 2017 and failed in Civil:Geotech. I got 20/40 in the afternoon so I've been thinking on switching depths. I chose Geotech in the first place cause I've had some work experience in the past with slope stability modelling and other geotech tasks, however, we usually subcontract a geotechnical firm to do the work for us. I also did my undergrad research in geotech as well. Plus, I really love and enjoy geotech. However, after seeing the questions I got in the afternoon I'm starting to think that only an engineer who works everyday in a geotechnical firm has a better chance on passing the exam on this particular depth. Does anybody have comments/advice on this? I really appreciate it!

As an alternative, I was considering doing the depth on WRE, but some people tell me that the worst I can do at this point is switching depths, so I just don't know what to do. I'm thinking on retaking the exam this next April 2018. 

Thanks!! and Congratulations to all who passed, and good wishes and luck to all of us who are still trying...
Maybe take a refresher course for the Geotech depth to get a better grasp of the concepts and workflows. You want to line up the depth section with what you have the best grasp of and deal with most often, which it may not be Geotech despite your passion for it. What I will say is don't just switch depth to WRE just cause you heard it's easier or only book you need is the CERM. Best of Luck!

Based on education and slight experience, it sounds like geotech is a better fit for you. Unless you've taken classes in Water Treatment, Wastewater Treatment, Hydrology, etc, the WRE might require you to learn lots of new material. A review course for the Geotech depth might be a wiser choice than switching depths at this point.  

Don't give up on it just yet. Judging by your interest and experience I say stick with Geotech. At least you know what the test looks like now. I had the same thoughts after failing structures the first time. I was very interested in it  since the start and I did my undergrad and grad school specializing in structures. But I stuck with it and finally passed on the third try this past October. It might look like switching depths could help you would have to learn a new depth topic from scratch. At least give it another go before you really consider switching. 

Good Luck next time! 

My words might be harsh, but I think you are trying to make problem worse.  Unless you are doing construction depth.  you stick with it.  

Back