Do I need 2 years to take exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zth5029psu

Reaction score
Hey I recently found out I passed the PE Civil - Structural and want to look into taking the CA state specific exams. I am out of state and just want to get a license early. I have to wait 4 years in PA but if I can get it a few years earlier in CA (I know I can't stamp in PA, it's more about the accomplishment) I would be pumped. I emailed the board but they did not get back to me. 

Does anyone know if you need to be approved and have 2 years work experience to take the state specific exams? I read their website multiple times and I think you do, but it does not clearly say that o I am looking for confirmation. 

Congrats to all who passed, and don't give up to those that didn't, you will pass soon enough.

Thanks in advance. 

Hey I recently found out I passed the PE Civil - Structural and want to look into taking the CA state specific exams. I am out of state and just want to get a license early. I have to wait 4 years in PA but if I can get it a few years earlier in CA (I know I can't stamp in PA, it's more about the accomplishment) I would be pumped. I emailed the board but they did not get back to me. 

Does anyone know if you need to be approved and have 2 years work experience to take the state specific exams? I read their website multiple times and I think you do, but it does not clearly say that o I am looking for confirmation. 

Congrats to all who passed, and don't give up to those that didn't, you will pass soon enough.

Thanks in advance. 
Read this:

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/applying_for_ce.shtml

In the fourth line of that above post, is this..

"The state-specific Civil Engineer exams (seismic principles and engineering surveying) are offered on a continuous quarterly basis starting with the quarter that begins on April 1, 2018. You will be authorized to sit for the exams in the quarter following the quarter in which your application is approved by the Board. You may sit for each exam once per quarter."

Therefore you would need to meet the two years of experience first, submit application to State board, once approved, then you can take the CA state specific exams.

Read this:

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/applying_for_ce.shtml

In the fourth line of that above post, is this..

"The state-specific Civil Engineer exams (seismic principles and engineering surveying) are offered on a continuous quarterly basis starting with the quarter that begins on April 1, 2018. You will be authorized to sit for the exams in the quarter following the quarter in which your application is approved by the Board. You may sit for each exam once per quarter."

Therefore you would need to meet the two years of experience first, submit application to State board, once approved, then you can take the CA state specific exams.
This!

Thanks in advance. 
Absolutely. One does not apply to take an exam.  Your application is to become licensed, which means you need to meet the experience criteria in California to apply. 

Back