Random Topics 3.1 - Page 129 - Shoot the Breeze - Engineer Boards Jump to content
Engineer Boards

Random Topics 3.1

8 minutes ago, snickerd3 said:

I got my real ID just before all this nonsense and the DMVs shutting down.  I needed it for work to get on base.  The DMVs around here have reopened but they aren't processing real ids at the momment since the deadline got pushed out again.  THey are focusing on plate and license renewals instead.  

I figured at this point it was better to pay the $44 for a regular license and have a passport on hand, than to have an expired license.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JUST TURNED IN MY PAPER AND FINISHED GRAD SCHOOL. WOOOOOOOO

My wife died unexpectedly on the 3rd. The ER couldn't save her or the baby. Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's been fun, folks.  From AC Slatering to treadmills to boobs on a plane... party on, EB.      

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Supe said:

Going to have to, since they don't have passport card appointments available to select anyways, so I need to call and figure out how they want me to schedule it.

This caught me out at the airport the other day.  That is true for Federal buildings, but NOT when states/airports require it.  I was in line at security at the Charlotte airport and had to have my wife rush me my passport since I too thought I didn't need it until 2021.  You could very well take off in one state, land, and not be able to make the return trip if that state has implemented Real ID requirements.

well shit - i was fine in DTW in September and CLE in March (they did remind me of the requirements back in March but it was legit 4 days before everything started shutting down) 

2 hours ago, snickerd3 said:

I got my real ID just before all this nonsense and the DMVs shutting down.

Thanks for the nudge. Got my appointment set up for tomorrow and all my documents printed. Hooray bureaucracy!

2 minutes ago, squaretaper LIT AF PE said:

Hey nice 10/22! You need a sling though! Also, we're not allowed to have the extended mags in CA...

Those aren't extended mags, they're standard mags. 

1 hour ago, Road Guy said:

^- I thought I read where that law was overturned recently?

I believe so. I think it *just* happened (August?) but I'm not into the hobby/sport enough to get worked up about it nor start buying a bunch of hardware. :rotflmao:

Edited by squaretaper LIT AF PE
spelling!
3 hours ago, Road Guy said:

is Real ID for states that dont meet the TSA Requirements?

It's a Federal standard for minimum ID requirements.  If your license has a star with a circle around it in the corner, it meets Real ID requirements.  If it doesn't, better start bringing your passport with you.

I'm glad I got my Real ID last year! My husband also got his in early March, before everything went into pandemic-mode... But his DL was about to expire anyway.

Okay, so be honest with me, people! Who out there EVER rinses their rice before cooking it?

I'm asking because I actually DID that last night, and holy moly, the rice was fantastic.

We do have the little star, I also need to remember to bring my global nexus ID but these days the airports are so light its not really needed..

29 minutes ago, leggo PE said:

Okay, so be honest with me, people! Who out there EVER rinses their rice before cooking it?

I'm asking because I actually DID that last night, and holy moly, the rice was fantastic.

We do.

Get the word out on doing this!!!

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, leggo PE said:

We do.  It makes cleaning the rice cooker pot a LOT easier.  Never noticed a taste difference

• Like 1

I thought it changed the texture of the rice a lot. I know the package directions always say to, but honestly, the only reason I did this time was because the recipe I was using said specifically to rinse the rice. I thought that it gave much more texture to each individual grain of rice. It might be worth it to do it every time! Thought for 2 c of dry jasmine rice, it took a LOT of rinsing to get the water to run anything close to what I'd call clear.

43 minutes ago, leggo PE said:

I've done it both ways. Depends on how lazy I am at the moment.

I usually intentionally make my rice a little dryer than normal and if I'm doing that the rinsing really doesn't matter.

back when I ate rice.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, leggo PE said:

I do. Seems to prevent foaming over while boiling.

I rinse the crap out of my rice.  Some brands are worse than other, but it's the difference between having rice vs. having rice glops.

2 hours ago, leggo PE said:

Yep, we do. I really wish we didn't *have* to, but homagah the first time I cooked rinsed rice I was STOKED.