The Baking Thread - Page 34 - Shoot the Breeze - Engineer Boards Jump to content
Engineer Boards

Well, everyone's gotta post their failures, right?

Bonus points to you if you actually know what that image I posted is or where it's from!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meant to post this yesterday

There is much room for improvement, but....

Posted Images

Got some sourdough focaccia dough in the making, and it's looking good!

Over the weekend, I made a loaf of kalamata olive and rosemary sourdough. Um, so good!

IMG_4052.jpg

• Like 1

I made some oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips...but I ran out of chocolate chips (only had half a cup of required 2 cups) so I used walnuts to bulk up.  I'm...not sure if these are good or not.  They kinda taste ultra walnutty, and I didn't chop the walnuts because I was super tired when making them.  So.  Yeah.  Not the best.

Ack, it's a tragedy to not have enough chocolate chips for a recipe! Last weekend, I woke up on Saturday and really, really, REALLY wanted to make Smitten Kitchen's Raspberry Breakfast Bars (I mean, come on, just look at the photo here: https://smittenkitchen.com/2008/09/raspberry-breakfast-bars/). I knew I had some raspberries and blackberries in the fridge, but couldn't remember how many... I didn't even have half the amount needed. No frozen berries, either. So I have now just been sitting here, waiting to make them THIS Saturday instead... Since I've now supplied myself with enough raspberries to get the job done.

I bet chopping up the walnuts would have helped! I'm not sure what size your walnuts were (halves? Bits and pieces?) but I always chop walnuts down to bits and pieces size, and even sometimes all bits... Haha.

Okay, sourdough focaccia time!

IMG_4070.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Dothracki said:

I did not need to see this thread. Now I have to try to make ALL the recipes! 😁

I need you to have seen this thread, to have more company in my baking posts!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife and I made mini apple crumb pies with Jonathon and Spartan apples we just picked yesterday. Usually we just make a large pie but we decided to try this out. It was a little more work to cut out the dough into smaller circles to put in a cup cake tin but they turned out really good.

20200920_145942.thumb.jpg.ae4b87a1fd60322e16b6d93b555884ec.jpg

Edited by Dothracki
  • Like 2

I made two apple cakes (my husband's grandma's recipe) and they turned out well! I was thinking about making some sourdough soft pretzels, but then decided to drink some beer yesterday instead.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, LyceeFruit PE said:

I got picked for the King Arthur Baking Company consumer advisory board! YAY 

WHAT.  THAT'S FRICKING AMAZING!!!!  

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, JayKay PE said:

WHAT.  THAT'S FRICKING AMAZING!!!!  

i'm so excited

but also i want to bake more things. but i can't since it's just the 2 of us and my freezer is full (we're drowning in rhubarb and he doesnt like rhubarb). and im not allowed to bring stuff to work to share. but i have a couple of friends who will take baked goods. one who has her jaw wired shut (&shes the one person i see the most, from a masked distance) 

17 minutes ago, LyceeFruit PE said:

i'm so excited

but also i want to bake more things. but i can't since it's just the 2 of us and my freezer is full (we're drowning in rhubarb and he doesnt like rhubarb). and im not allowed to bring stuff to work to share. but i have a couple of friends who will take baked goods. one who has her jaw wired shut (&shes the one person i see the most, from a masked distance) 

I FUCKING WANT ALL THE RHUBARB AND IT LIKE NOT A THING HERE.  I SAW IT FOR A WEEK AND THEN IT WAS GONE.

Indiana is in full swing of opening up and I just...I'm going to start baking again and giving specific treats to specific shop groups.  Hopefully they won't mingle with each other and will be good.  On the docket is:

HVAC shop - Espresso double chocolate brownies

Electric shop - Ranger cookies (shakes in maf excitement)

Pipe shop - Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies

Wood shop - Apple cider doughnut (might just make these into pumpkin spice/cinnamon doughnuts since I haven't made doughnuts in forever)

1 hour ago, JayKay PE said:

I FUCKING WANT ALL THE RHUBARB AND IT LIKE NOT A THING HERE.  I SAW IT FOR A WEEK AND THEN IT WAS GONE.

Indiana is in full swing of opening up and I just...I'm going to start baking again and giving specific treats to specific shop groups.  Hopefully they won't mingle with each other and will be good.  On the docket is:

Wood shop - Apple cider doughnut (might just make these into pumpkin spice/cinnamon doughnuts since I haven't made doughnuts in forever)

I WANT AN APPLE CIDER DONUT

Friendo, come to maine, take this rhubarb off my hands. and enjoy more reasonable covid guidelines. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, leggo PE said:

Except, now I don't really remember what this was for? Will I get sent stuff, or is it just giving feedback on surveys and stuff?

yes

23 hours ago, JayKay PE said:

I'll send you my address for those ranger cookies

35 minutes ago, LyceeFruit PE said:

i still dont know what ranger cookies are lol 

They have coconut in them, but aren't Samoas, so they're garbage.

9 minutes ago, Supe said:

But they also have chocolate?  And taste the best when the person who makes them is drunk.  (It's me.  I'm the person).

• Haha 1
On 10/1/2020 at 3:08 PM, Supe said:

I only like samoas when theyre frozen. Also in Maine, they're caramel delites

I made cheddar beer bread dinner rolls to have with dinner the other day! Used yeast, because I've gotta live a little some times, right?

I think I'm going to attempt to make some more sourdough bagels this weekend, though. I've got all four starters out of the fridge for a feeding tonight... I'm not sure which one I'm going to use, but they all need to be fed!

29 minutes ago, leggo PE said:

I made cheddar beer bread dinner rolls to have with dinner the other day! Used yeast, because I've gotta live a little some times, right?

I think I'm going to attempt to make some more sourdough bagels this weekend, though. I've got all four starters out of the fridge for a feeding tonight... I'm not sure which one I'm going to use, but they all need to be fed!

i gave up on my sourdough

and i totally meant to make bagels. but i'd rather hike this weekend.