Dumb LinkedIN Recruiter Email of the day thread...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
I've been exchanging emails with a not so bright recruiter on LI and he said he had a position "perfect for my background" and then when he sends me the job descriptions its obviously  for a traffic engineering position where I am more of a roadway / construction person - So I try and tell him that role isn't for me..

this is the last response..  made me LOL in a meeting this am..

dumb HH.png

Most recruiters are worthless and rarely lead to landing a job. Where was this position?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I still get emails about a perfect job opportunity all the time.  They're always for some sort of electrical distribution position.  All because I worked for 6 months for Cinergy designing the sites for new substations.  The closest I can to any kind of electrical work was figuring out the weight of all the equipment that was being installed so concrete pads.would be in the right places.

About half the ones I get are for some short term contract half way across the country from me, for a mechanical designer (associates degree).  They see I have experience with ProE (which I guess is pretty rare these days) and reach out to me.  The other 45% I get are for insurance agent positions. I can only imagine that is because I am a Patent Agent, and they're just keyword searching for agents.  No, I'm not moving to Illinois.  No, I don't want to sell insurance.  Ever.

Had one message me a couple weeks ago with a "perfect opportunity". Would have been about a 30% pay raise and bump in title (senior civil to principal engineer). I asked for more information and found out it was with a firm that is falling apart and I would be the the closest thing to a Chartered Engineer (PE) they would have (I'm still about a year away from being registered here in NZ). A couple of the guys that recently joined my company (sit next to me) had come from there and instantly knew which person this position was replacing. That was enough for me to say "nope, I'm good".

Last edited by a moderator:
I am forever getting EMAILS (where are they finding my email!!) about ME positions that they think i have friends (HA!) that might be interested in..

I am forever getting EMAILS (where are they finding my email!!) about ME positions that they think i have friends (HA!) that might be interested in..
You know you can create an email rule to handle all those, right? 

It just seems like most of them don't even read your profile before the send an "inmail" here is a funny exchange from a few months ago..

LII.png

Unless the email seems personalized,  I usually ignore them. Let them talk to the other countless people who have the few keywords on their profile. If they spend no time to type an email to me, why should I waste my time responding when they most likely won't even read it.

Do I want to work in the pulp and paper industry? Apparently I'm perfectly qualified!
If they are actually looking for a structural engineer then you probably are qualified. I know it's not as "sexy" as architectural engineering, but you can (and do) make much more money in the industrial segment if you're willing to make the leap. I did many moons ago and have never looked back.

And if you don't mind the smell. My father in law worked at a paper mill his whole life. Says it smells like money. I disagree...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back