Engineering Fees

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vandal Machining

Reaction score
I am a new PE and I'm starting to do some work on my own.  What is a reasonable rate to charge for services?  I have a request from a non-profit to measure specs of a kitchen, which will be provided to their architect for a remodel design. I do not want to under/over charge for the work.

There is no hard and fast rule for what constitutes "reasonable fees", but there are some things to consider:

1) what is the work worth to you

2) what can you charge and get repeat/new business

3) what is the cost of your direct overhead (office space, utilities, computers/printers/software licenses, office supplies, tax prep, etc.)

4) what other factors would be impacted by your rate (ability to dine out x times a month, ability to make a house payment, ability to afford braces for your kid, etc.)

5) as a new PE, if you are not the lowest bid, what would you use to justify your rate to your client

How much is your cost of living? And how much do your competetors charge? If your fees are higher than those, you need reasons to justify why.

It all depend on how you work..and also check the rates of local competitors so you can decide your price..Firstly try to gain trust of people by good work, Once you are popular you can decide the new rate as per your living charges

Back