List of Discipline Specific States

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZWEIG

Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of all states requiring discipline specific licenses for mechanical and electrical engineers? 

Can you explain what you mean by "discipline specific licenses" for me? Thanks.
(Sorry if this is a dumb question)

Can you explain what you mean by "discipline specific licenses" for me? Thanks.
(Sorry if this is a dumb question)
Some states require that your license specifies your area of competency directly (If you get a Mechanical license, you cannot stamp anything electrical, even if you are eminently qualified electrically).  In other (most) states, a PE is a PE - there is no discipline designation on the license.

Some states require that your license specifies your area of competency directly (If you get a Mechanical license, you cannot stamp anything electrical, even if you are eminently qualified electrically).  In other (most) states, a PE is a PE - there is no discipline designation on the license.
Ok, that's kind of what I assumed. But I was surprised to see Louisiana on the list.

Let me start by saying that I'm not a PE yet (it's coming). But my understanding is that Louisiana is somewhere in between.

• Louisiana definitely does list a discipline with your license based on what which exam you passed. When you search for a licensee on the website, it specifies "Mechanical Engineer" for example.
  • There is no requirement to list a discipline on your stamp. Both "Professional Engineer" and "Professional Engineer in Mechanical Engineering" are equally acceptable.
  • You are not limited to practice only in your listed discipline. You can practice in any area in which are competent. I just double checked to be sure. Below are the relevant quotes from Louisiana's "Board_Rules_updated_012019" which can be downloaded from www.lapels.com

Chapter 25. Professional Conduct

§2505.    Services
A.    Licensees shall perform services only in the area of their competence.
B.    Licensees shall undertake assignments only when qualified by education or experience in the specific technical fields of engineering or land surveying involved.
C.    Licensees shall not affix their signatures or seals to any documents dealing with subject matters in which they lack competence, nor to any such document not prepared by them or under their responsible charge. [...]
D.    Licensees may accept an assignment outside of their areas of competence to the extent that their services are restricted to those phases of the project in which they are qualified, and to the extent that they are satisfied that all other phases of such project will be performed or supervised by other licensees, in which case they may then seal, sign and date the documents for the whole project.
E.    In the event a question arises as to the competence of a licensee in a specific technical field which cannot be otherwise resolved to the board's satisfaction, the board, either upon request of the licensee or on its own volition, may require the licensee to take an appropriate examination or quiz or submit to an appropriate interview.

Back