Environmental Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliatx

Reaction score
Passed! I'm in TX so I got my passing score (80%). I'm pretty surprised considering the afternoon session was KILLER. Any other environmentals here?? Figured it might be helpful to future test takers if we post score and pass/fail.

Enviro here living in TX, but I took the exam in LA and they don't provide the score if you pass.  I'm not sure I want to know b/c I'm thinking it was a skin of my teeth situation. :)  

Hey there, fellow enviro in TX, congrats!  Great score.  I failed with a 63 :\  The air section killed me, so I know what i need to focus on!  

Hey there, fellow enviro in TX, congrats!  Great score.  I failed with a 63 :\  The air section killed me, so I know what i need to focus on!  
I'm sure you'll pass next time!! And I completely agree - my job is entirely air-related and I found the air section on this test to be insanely difficult. Way harder than the practice tests I took.

I'm sure you'll pass next time!! And I completely agree - my job is entirely air-related and I found the air section on this test to be insanely difficult. Way harder than the practice tests I took.
That honestly makes me feel a lot better!

enviro from MS here! i passed, my second time taking it, but MS doesn't provide us with a score. i agree about the afternoon session - walking out i thought for sure i had failed.

See the morning messed me up and left me feeling like I was not going to pass the exam if the afternoon was like that.  I skipped many and I was sort of defeated at lunch.  But then I felt the afternoon went much better!

I passed the environmental (took the exam in Nevada). I was a repeat taker. For those struggling with the air sections (I have zero experience working in that discipline and took one class as an undergrad which was over 5 years ago) the questions in the back of the Air Pollution Control book by Cooper and Alley are great. I highly recommend working through those, and going through the first few chapters that are PV=nRT etc and making a sheet that tells you exactly which version of the equation to use to get the exact units.

There are GREAT posts with past takers advice that I relied on heavily to acquire the best references and not have more than I needed. The Environmental forum was very quiet this round so I just self studied and hoped for the best.

I passed the environmental (took the exam in Nevada). I was a repeat taker. For those struggling with the air sections (I have zero experience working in that discipline and took one class as an undergrad which was over 5 years ago) the questions in the back of the Air Pollution Control book by Cooper and Alley are great. I highly recommend working through those, and going through the first few chapters that are PV=nRT etc and making a sheet that tells you exactly which version of the equation to use to get the exact units.

There are GREAT posts with past takers advice that I relied on heavily to acquire the best references and not have more than I needed. The Environmental forum was very quiet this round so I just self studied and hoped for the best.
Thanks so much for the good advice.  I'm in remediation so the air stuff was definitely out of my league! Last air class was in 2005...wishing I didn't sell my Cooper and Alley text afterward! Time to get it again for October.  

Thanks so much for the good advice.  I'm in remediation so the air stuff was definitely out of my league! Last air class was in 2005...wishing I didn't sell my Cooper and Alley text afterward! Time to get it again for October.  
If you have any other subject area/reference material questions feel free to ask me when the time comes! I actually lucked out and live near the UC-Berkeley campus so I was able to pay for a university library card and utilized a majority of my references there, students these days apparently don't check out textbooks. Anyway, I studied REALLY hard my previous attempt and was really down that I didn't pass (got a 65), but I built on all that hard work and thankfully passed this time. You can do it-- you're not far off!

Enviro in MA.  Failed with 56/100 first time taking it this April. I mainly do air as well.  I had a rough morning session.  Did fine with wastewater questions 10 out of 10 correct but struggled with the other water topics and solid waste. Can anybody recommend a good solid waste reference?  I have Lagrega but didn'treally spend time a lot of time reading through it. I mainly used the EVRM during the exam and for studying. 

I mostly used my NC state notes for waste, but I don't know that the $400 for the online course is worth it just for that.

Enviro in MA.  Failed with 56/100 first time taking it this April. I mainly do air as well.  I had a rough morning session.  Did fine with wastewater questions 10 out of 10 correct but struggled with the other water topics and solid waste. Can anybody recommend a good solid waste reference?  I have Lagrega but didn'treally spend time a lot of time reading through it. I mainly used the EVRM during the exam and for studying. 
I had the lagrega and tried to spend some time reading it and at least tabbing it a bit since I struggled with solid waste last time. I don't think I had any other references bseides that and the EERM. My memory is lacking on the types of questions (quantitative vs qualitative?) that were on solid waste.

I had the lagrega and tried to spend some time reading it and at least tabbing it a bit since I struggled with solid waste last time. I don't think I had any other references bseides that and the EERM. My memory is lacking on the types of questions (quantitative vs qualitative?) that were on solid waste.
Thanks.  Wasn't sure if there was anything else out there.  Lagrega seems to be the main reference for that area. I will be reading and tabbing it this time though. 

I passed but PA doesn't give scores either. Used NC State DVDs and did School of PE.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

I took environmental and passed in NY!!! My focus is mainly water and wastewater so air and solid waste were my pitfalls last time I took the exam.  For air, the Cooper and Alley book is amazing!  For solid and hazwaste, the 2011 RCRA orientation manual came in very handy.  Soon I will post all of the reference textbooks I used.  I also made my own references from stuff I printed out from the internet.  I also made formula sheets, which probably helped me reinforce how to use equations.

Congratulations to everyone who passed! If you didn't pass this time, just dust yourself off and try again.  You will get it!!!

If you have any other subject area/reference material questions feel free to ask me when the time comes! I actually lucked out and live near the UC-Berkeley campus so I was able to pay for a university library card and utilized a majority of my references there, students these days apparently don't check out textbooks. Anyway, I studied REALLY hard my previous attempt and was really down that I didn't pass (got a 65), but I built on all that hard work and thankfully passed this time. You can do it-- you're not far off!

I took environmental and passed in NY!!! My focus is mainly water and wastewater so air and solid waste were my pitfalls last time I took the exam.  For air, the Cooper and Alley book is amazing!  For solid and hazwaste, the 2011 RCRA orientation manual came in very handy.  Soon I will post all of the reference textbooks I used.  I also made my own references from stuff I printed out from the internet.  I also made formula sheets, which probably helped me reinforce how to use equations.

Congratulations to everyone who passed! If you didn't pass this time, just dust yourself off and try again.  You will get it!!!
Thanks so much guys.  This is really helpful.  

Haha I'm so excited! Went to Half Price and discovered a trove of books! Probably from a new PE! Got Metcalf and Eddy for $5 and Cooper and Alley for $10, along with a couple of other references! These are older editions, but still! Can't beat the price.

Back