Took EET and Didn't Pass

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madpiper

Reaction score
Just curious, who else here took the EET course and didn't pass the PE like me? My emphasis was Civil Water Resources and Environmental, but even if yours was not, I'd like to hear from you. Looking at the diagnostics page provide by NCEES, I can't make sense of anything. I sucked where I thought I was strong, and I did okay where I thought I sucked.

I liked the EET course and I enjoyed Nazrul and his colleagues, but when I opened that test packet for the Breadth portion, I felt like there was a lot of stuff we never covered. The depth wasn't quite as bad, but still seemed like they were throwing new stuff at me. I don't know. What do you think?

I did pass, but I somewhat agree with you on the breadth portion. There was a decent amount of force transformations that relied on your statics knowledge. For the depth though, I felt that everything on the test was taught in the WRE depth course. Luckily, you should be able to take the class again for free. My advice would be to make sure you do the starred practice problems at least twice to fully grasp the concepts.

I took EET- WRE and passed. I agree with the breath portion being a lot harder than anticipated but fair. A lot a structures but still doable. For a few questions I refereed to the CERM. 

The afternoon kicked my butt. I honestly was scared because it was really heavy on enviro which i learned exclusively through EET. I watched each lecture twice for the enviro and the friend equation literally saved me but still I guessed with zero knowledge on how to solve for 7 questions for Depth. I put at least 2 hours of studying in every day for February, March and April. Took a week break to learn Surveying and another for Seismic. My main thing was pass 8-hr and that just watching the lectures is not enough to pass. Every time I zoned out I would mark my notes and re-watch it at a later time. Doing the exams and hw and submitting it to Nazrul before he sent the answers was really helpful too. 

Nazul will forsure let you take the course again.Study hard and good luck in October!

I took EET(WRE) in Oct 2016 and didn't pass. I took the repeat course and I passed this time around.

Breadth: Kind of a toss-up. Some questions were really easy and some were really hard. The advice I received was to make sure you're strong in 3 topics. 

Depth: I felt I had a stronger grasp of the Depth concepts this time around and I practiced way more problems. I knew I completely guessed on way less coming out of the exam. 

I took both breadth and depth (WRE) at EET and passed. I would say an excellent binder/lectures/ (for depth) and good binder/lectures for breadth. If someone from EET felt good at depth (WRE) and difficult at breadth because depth materials/instructor was better than breadth. On a very first day, when I looked at two binders I realized the difference. However, I studied more breadth than depth, therefore, I realized breadth test was easier than the depth. Also, I needed help from other reference books only to solve 3-4 questions (breadth+depth). I solved rest of the questions from EET binders. My point is here that depth binder was excellent, I spent less time to study, breath binder was good but not excellent, I spent more time to study.

I took eet last fall and failed. The breadth was helpful and I thought the same about the depth (transportation) . I retook the course and passed. I'll admit there were some questions in the morning I didn't see before especially for geotech and structures. I thought Samir did a good job with the depth portion. My advice is retake the course I think it helped me watching the videos a second time it sucks but it's worth it when you pass

Civil/structural here. I took the EET breadth and felt it was perfect. Saved me on a few I know I would have missed otherwise. I left the morning feeling I had only missed one problem. I am a structural engineer so if the notes were lacking in the structures section I may not have noticed as I didn't need to use them for those problems. I thankfully passed!

I took test masters failed. Took EET and passed. I agree breadth test was heavy on structural, other than that wouldn't have passed without Dr. Nazrul. I felt very prepared and familiar with everything in the depth. Good luck next time, know the material and the binder inside and out. I dedicated 3 months legit studying every night after work and all day Saturday all day Sunday. Wish you all the best. I know it's hard, been there. Chin up, you can do it. It will require sacrifice but it's within reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took the EET for breadth and WRE depth, and I did not feel prepared for the structural questions either. Luckily I passed, but I definitely felt that the structural portion of the class wasn't the best for someone who's never taken anything beyond mechanics of materials. I felt pretty prepared on every other subject though.

The WRE portion with Nazrul was perfect for me however, I felt confident on about 39/40 and I think that saved me.

Last edited by a moderator:
First time test taker, didn't pass (WRE). I took a prep course offered by my local university and didn't find it as helpful as expected for the depth portion. I'm looking into taking EET depth for the October exam when I plan to retake. Can anyone tell me the benefits to the webinar vs on demand format? And also how long are the classes? How early do you start studying if you follow along?

Trying not to be too bummed about failing, I know I'm not the only one but it still sucks a lot ?

Thanks. 

First time test taker, didn't pass (WRE). I took a prep course offered by my local university and didn't find it as helpful as expected for the depth portion. I'm looking into taking EET depth for the October exam when I plan to retake. Can anyone tell me the benefits to the webinar vs on demand format? And also how long are the classes? How early do you start studying if you follow along?

Trying not to be too bummed about failing, I know I'm not the only one but it still sucks a lot ?

Thanks. 
Don't give up. Not passing bites, but you'll get there.  this was my third time taking it and thankfully I passed.  I took EET each time.  Overall I prefer the live webinar.  I procrastinate and it keeps you on schedule.   The schedule is posted on their website. http://www.eetusa.com/classes/civil-pe/breadth    class goes from 730 or 8 am - 4 or 5 pm (all PST) 

On Demand
good   -  fits into your schedule.  
           - you don't have to get up crack ass early on Saturdays.  or have a time issue if you are on the East Coast
          -  you can walk away and finish later if real life interrupts. 
Live
        -  you can ask questions in real time
        - if you don't understand something you can ask right then and there when it's fresh in your mind
       -  it keeps you on schedule and you will not fall behind. 

I took on demand class for both breadth and PM transportation. AM portion was more on general civil engineering knowledge. EET breadth class was great but structural portion was the weakest out of all. EET Transportation review class (taught by Samir) was right on spot. EET's Transportation binder covers 70%-80%. The rest are just look up things on reference books. I passed on my first try.

I know the feeling. Don't give up. 

This was my second time taking the test and first time taking the EET course. I was able to pass this time. I signed up for the breadth and transportation depth on demand courses. I really liked the on demand sessions because I have 3 kids and there was no way I could guarantee that I could have whole weekend days to commit to watching the courses. I preferred being able to do it a few hours at a time and then working the problems directly related to the video i had just watched. And as far as asking questions, I emailed Samir several times with questions and maybe Nazurl (sp?) once and each time they responded by the end of the day whenever I emailed. I'm not usually a question ask-er during a lecture though. I come up with questions as I'm working problems and reviewing. 

Don't give up. Not passing bites, but you'll get there.  this was my third time taking it and thankfully I passed.  I took EET each time.  Overall I prefer the live webinar.  I procrastinate and it keeps you on schedule.   The schedule is posted on their website. http://www.eetusa.com/classes/civil-pe/breadth    class goes from 730 or 8 am - 4 or 5 pm (all PST) 

On Demand
good   -  fits into your schedule.  
           - you don't have to get up crack ass early on Saturdays.  or have a time issue if you are on the East Coast
          -  you can walk away and finish later if real life interrupts. 
Live
        -  you can ask questions in real time
        - if you don't understand something you can ask right then and there when it's fresh in your mind
       -  it keeps you on schedule and you will not fall behind. 

Thanks so much for the info. How many weekends does the live webinar class run?

Thanks so much for the info. How many weekends does the live webinar class run?
for depth and breadth it runs from Late July to end of September.  If you are on the fence at all email them or call the contact number. They will get back to you.  

I have to agree that the EET course was very helpful (both breadth and depth). This was my third attempt and I am glad I took the course. The first two times I was preparing on my own and was all over the place. I was scoring in the mid-50s and knew i needed that extra set of guidance to take me over the cut-off score. The materials EET provides covers almost 80% of the exam questions. For the remainder you need the reference materials. I was taking Civil Transportation and had the HCM, MUTCD and AASHTO Greenbook with me.

I had to take the on-demand course since I have a 3 year old and had to have a flexible study schedule. If you are dedicated to completing the course by yourself, on-demand is really helpful. You get access to all the same materials that are provided on the live webinar sessions. You can always contact the course instructor via email if you have any question regarding the materials. They always have responded promptly if I had any questions. Personally, I would strongly recommend this course to my friends and colleagues who are planning to take the PE in the future.

FYI, I PASSED!!!!!

I took EET on-demand depth and breadth (WRE), and though I'm not the best person to review them since I started studying only 22 days before the exam--binge watching all the seminars and not solving all the practice problems and exams, I will agree with everybody else and say the depth portion by Nazrul was great, content, problems, binder, the full package. The lectures were focused on the fundamentals with emphasis on important areas, and the binders were immaculately organized. Highly recommended.

The breadth portion in my opinion, I wouldn't necessarily recommend. The binders were not good, seemingly hastily put together, and the lectures were not to my liking (except portions by Nazrul--Soil Mechanics I and Materials I). As everybody knows the Structural and Soil Mechanics for this exams was difficult, more so if your fundamentals are not clear ( I saw some structural and geo tech folks finish the AM in 3 hrs or under) and the EET lecturers for the breadth did not help or structure the lecture to help with the fundamentals. Watching the videos was very monotonous almost like the instructor was reading straight up from the text. It may have been better for people who studied per schedule and asked questions and solved problems, but definitely not for someone that crash coursed studied.

BTW I did pass, and I would attribute it to the depth portion.

I went through the EET breadth and construction depth review on this first attempt and failed (50/80).   I also worked practice exams for breadth and depth from four other books outside of EET.   It was clear from my diagnostics report that EET was very helpful to me and I would have scored much lower without their help.  However, I was surprised by what was left off the exam, particularly in the depth section.  EET and my review books placed a great deal of emphasis on certain types of problems, and their omission caught me off guard.  I am in the process of re-grouping to do better in October.  Congratulations to all you folks who passed. 

Back