Did you get a raise / bonus / perks after getting your PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any extra perks you gained?

• Promotion?

Votes: 52 25.1%
  • Extra Vacation or PTO?

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Moved from Cubicle to Office?

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • More expenses paid for? (phone bill, travel, tolls, etc...)

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • NA - Use if none of these answers apply

Votes: 148 71.5%

• Total voters

InfinityX2K4

Cube Farm Resident
Reaction score
No names will be posted! You can add company info in your replies at your own risk :)

Hopefully I set this up correctly but you should be able to select multiple answers on the last question. 

Just a curiosity poll on how our companies are rewarding folks after becoming a PE.

I don't want to be the first to answer in here so I'll wait until some results come in :)

I appologize in advance if it gives you problems and for getting picky about adding decimals )5% and 5.01%, etc)... Didn't want to leave anyone having more than one choice.

I didn't have to use vacation time for day of test and after passing they paid for the test portion of the costs.  That's it

I didn't have to use vacation time for day of test and after passing they paid for the test portion of the costs.  That's it
Dang, should have added that to the last question! I also did not have to use a vacation day for the actual exam day. I did use vacation to make the TestMaster class dates but they were willing to let me work extra hours during the week to make up for them and they offer a 9/80 schedule which could have saved me some Fridays. Unfortunately my schedule doesn't allow me to take advantage of those options on a regular basis.

Haven't gotten anything yet. I should be getting a raise more then the average one. But haven't heard anything about it so far. Might be looking for a new job next year. ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat, waiting for the new year to start since my company doesn't give raises or promotions except in Jan and July. Got a bonus though, you may need to add/change the choices on that question.

20% raise, 6% bonus and title change from "Designer" to "Engineer".

Also paid for exam application, registration, review materials and time off for test and one prep day.

One of the lucky ones I guess and I'm grateful for what my company has done for me. 

I haven't gotten it myself, but know that my company gives the day of the PE off (as well as time off for the CA state specific seismic and surveying exams), and that we immediately (day of getting our results) get promotions from structural designers to engineers and an accompanying raise (I'm not aware of how much). I also know that you typically get bumped from engineer to project engineer at my company fairly quickly, perhaps in the range of a year or less getting the promotion to engineer. No prep material or study course fees are covered by my company.

My company allows us to charge the 8 hours of the exam to overhead... so we don't have to use vacation time. On getting the PE license the company gives a one time 3000$ bonus (after tax) and the job position automatically changes from EIT to Engineer. 

I have a 9/80 schedule and had the day off so I used my own time to take the exam.

Company paid for 90% of testmasters course, no books or study materials though. I'm working on getting reimbursed for the fees (application, exam, fingerprint, and diploma) but we will see, HR and supervisors aren't on the same page even though company policy spells it out very clearly.

I haven't received a raise or promotion in a few years (upstream oil company) and won't receive anything for this. Though most of my peers have been promoted above me, I continue to get told that I don't meet the criteria for a promotion (though my supervisor can't find or wont show me what the criteria are). I get positive feedback from people throughout the company and am constantly told by my supervisor that I receive very positive feedback from managers that don't usually have anything nice to say.

I wanted to get licensed for personal reasons so I didn't expect a raise or promotion for getting the PE but I thought it would probably help check one more box, I was wrong.

Oh, I got taken out to lunch for passing!

Government contractor here.  No raise associated with getting my PE since it is not required to perform work. 

Company paid for exam fees, book, and review course.

I got licensed for prestige and resume booster.  Also I didn't want to take it later in life if/when I need it.

My employer did not pay for anything.   No bonus and no raise.   They did pay the exam fee when I took the FE last  year, but since then the company did away with the tuition and exam fee reimbursement program.  We are also under a salary freeze for 2 years so no bonus or raise either(not that passing would have warranted either).    I am now one of 190 PEs out of 2500 engineers at my company.   I did it for my self since it is not required for work because we work under the "industrial exemption."

Reading the lack of incentive for passing the PEs from the companies is depressing.

My company paid for the review course/material upto $1500, paid day off on exam day, and expecting at least 5% standard raise for PE licensure.

Reading the lack of incentive for passing the PEs from the companies is depressing.

My company paid for the review course/material upto $1500, paid day off on exam day, and expecting at least 5% standard raise for PE licensure.
the lack of incentives in my opinion has to do with the age some folks are getting it.  If you are under 30 and you get your PE, you really arent adding any value to your firm. You are the same guy doing the work you did before you passed the PE exam.  Clients want to see top resumes in the proposals with a PE yes, but also with 20+ years of experience.  So Joe Engineer, getting his PE at 24-30, really isnt buying his company any more value, yet is EXPECTING some extra compensation. A Jr Egineer with a PE is just more costly in a proposal lol.

My employer did not pay for anything.   No bonus and no raise.   They did pay the exam fee when I took the FE last  year, but since then the company did away with the tuition and exam fee reimbursement program.  We are also under a salary freeze for 2 years so no bonus or raise either(not that passing would have warranted either).    I am now one of 190 PEs out of 2500 engineers at my company.   I did it for my self since it is not required for work because we work under the "industrial exemption."
find a new job.  

the lack of incentives in my opinion has to do with the age some folks are getting it.  If you are under 30 and you get your PE, you really arent adding any value to your firm. You are the same guy doing the work you did before you passed the PE exam.  Clients want to see top resumes in the proposals with a PE yes, but also with 20+ years of experience.  So Joe Engineer, getting his PE at 24-30, really isnt buying his company any more value, yet is EXPECTING some extra compensation. A Jr Egineer with a PE is just more costly in a proposal lol.
I suppose your right. Being a PE in my low 30s with 7-8 yrs of experience, I would expect a raise and should be getting one according to company policy. Any previous company I have worked for offered a decent incentive after PE licensure (above 5%). I am wondering if its industry specific as well? Im in Bridge design.

Just like to thank everyone for the replies and at this point 58 members have voted! Congrats to those being rewarded!

Just adding my  :2cents:

I firmly believe it is heavily dependent on the industry you work in even more so than the size of the company.

Being in Texas I know a bunch of petroleum engineers / mechanical engineers working in petroleum industry who work for large companies and none of them even take the FE exam let alone go for their PE. It seems like there are the 50+ year old PEs who sign the work and everyone else just does production. Eventually a PE will have to take that person's place but the incentive to be that person is minimal until you actually make it there. If you start doing engineering work from your early 20s and get to your late 40s before that spot opens up, you can request a waiver for both the FE and PE exams based on your experience anyway. Waiver comment not correct upon further reading and pointed out by "allgood".

At the same time, in the civil engineering world, both the FE and PE are basically a requirement. The faster you can achieve those goals the better (for you personally) as long as there are still graduate engineers or EITs below you for the sake of budgeting projects and billable rates.

No idea about other fields of study, would be interested to hear about electrical or nuclear fields.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you can circumvent taking the PE based on years of experiences, it's only for the FE.

Back