New PEs... what're you focusing on now? - Page 3 - After You Pass The Exam - Engineer Boards Jump to content
Engineer Boards

New PEs... what're you focusing on now?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Due to a variety of factors and events (including, but not limited to, studying for and retaking the PE exam multiple times, finishing grad school, getting the PMP, plus a 5 hour commute to work, blah

I'm focusing on my family. 1yr old, 3 yr old. I got my MBA, two six sigma certs, and a PE license in the last two years. Tired and want to spend quality time with the youngins. Maybe I'll get in some

coworker is asking me if i want to do the extra exams to get my CA PE and im like can i just enjoy my WA PE for a minute? thanks.

On 12/12/2016 at 10:24 AM, thejulie_PE said:

2 of my coworkers took both sections this october and were forever studying. i'm terrible at studying. I know my brain will be fried if i take both in one weekend. my brain hurts just thinking about it. lol

Having advised a lot of people in your same situation I'd say each has it's merits but I'd highly recommend splitting them up.

• Like 1
On 12/12/2016 at 10:41 AM, RickJames said:

Got MBA already.  testing for fire certification Wed., Already have Ga, NC witll test for FLA.

Should be set at that point...start building business and contacts.

Passed Tn Fire Cert /pipe laying cert

3 hours ago, leggo said:

Congrats!

Thanks, tho it was easy after surviving PE.  

Scoring was amazing....Press End End and up pops PASS with a breakdown, 86%.

NCEES could learn from PSI.  I think a few answers were off....had to challenge.:P

If

On 12/12/2016 at 8:04 PM, CHD_PE said:

Has anyone looked into or already acquired CEM certification? I've heard it's like a week-long training that you attend and take a test on the last day of the training. 

If you are interested in CEM, take CPQ as well.  It's easy if you work in power field.

Great topic! I passed surveying last December to become a CA Civil PE. After passing, there is this beautiful world of opportunity that is unlocked. In the past year, I have been learning Spanish by taking local classes.  I also now teach a class at a community college in my field. Its been a great year!

Congrats to all those who are now PE's.. To those who didn't pass, use your anger, sadness, and frustration to fuel your studies and you will pass in the future. As Sage Francis puts it: "It's been a long and lonely trip, But I'm glad that I took it because it was well worth it"

• Like 1
On 12/10/2016 at 4:41 PM, cupojoe PE PMP said:

After passing the PE three years ago, I started a new job, started the PMP process, and an MBA. Still at the new job, finished the PMP last year, and finishing the MBA in May. I think after that I'm going to sleep.

Do you feel PMP benefit your career much. Just got my PE this Oct. and considering of PMP

3 minutes ago, Eva said:

Do you feel PMP benefit your career much. Just got my PE this Oct. and considering of PMP

I don't think I learned much because of the PMP. But I think the PMP let me "check a box" with HR and with certain clients. It also gave me a concrete way to show intentions to management. But in and of itself, it's not all that helpful. It's how it's perceived. I've written several other posts on my thoughts about the PMP, I'd recommend searching those out on this board.

2 minutes ago, cupojoe PE PMP said:

I don't think I learned much because of the PMP. But I think the PMP let me "check a box" with HR and with certain clients. It also gave me a concrete way to show intentions to management. But in and of itself, it's not all that helpful. It's how it's perceived. I've written several other posts on my thoughts about the PMP, I'd recommend searching those out on this board.

Thanks, I will looks into those posts

On 12/13/2016 at 0:23 AM, RickJames said:

Yeah pay back for the top schools is impressive.....Coworkers son quit six figures at 29 to go to ten in Chicago MBA.

Was getting 150k offers after one year.  But if you go this route not sure you really needed PE.

You don't really need it but it is a well regarded qualification, especially by other engineers and there are a lot of them in management (and in the top 15 MBA programs). You also never know when you might need it and in certain disciplines there are actually very few PEs as a percentage of the total and their approval is needed for certain regulatory functions so you might actually use it and in any case it's something to fall back on..and most importantly a PE should be something you want because you want it! I've always wanted it because it gives great personal satisfaction.

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/european-business-school-rankings-2015

If you're interested in doing full time or EMBA you should consider a program in Europe (top 5 or so in that list) because they're cheaper, faster, and partly because of the previous two have a higher rate of return on your investment in the MBA. Top american programs are 2 years. You can graduate at INSEAD in 10 months (I'm not INSEAD either FYI, just wanted to point out that there are options out there..I would suggest LBS, INSEAD, or HEC). The top european ones also take american government student loans (crazy but true) so you can have the us government risk most of the money if you decide to take it.

Reading these, I'm feeling like such an underachiever. My next step is sleep!

All I want to do is sleep!

Had my end of year review today. My supervisor has changed role and no longer supervising so I felt a bit safe saying this. But I straight up told him that I have no aspiration whatsoever for the next year or two. I just want to be a damn good technical geotech. When I grow up, I want a GE and become a Geostructural Engineer.

1 hour ago, ISpitHotFire_PE said:

I want to focus on my PMP after the holidays. Seems to be easier and much less stressful than studying for the PE...

PMP is much easier than the PE Exam.  You will need to put time into it, but nothing like the PE.

Congrats on passing an good luck on the PMP.

12 hours ago, NM_Brown_Trout said:

Some of the most inept PMs I've experienced are PMPs....just sayin

And Bill Gates, Frank Lloyd Wright, Steve Jobs, and Mark Zuckerburg never finished college but if you feel like getting your PMP, CEM, LEED AP, MBA, PHD, ABCXYZ, etc. then go for it, even if a small sense of accomplishment is the only thing you will get out of it.  

Edited by ruggercsc
grammar correction

Trying to find a good website to buy a stamp. Any recommendations.

Also, trying to purchase a frame.

i am undecided on getting a MBA or PMP. 

I've gotten mine from acorn sales and been happy! There's also a giveaway from PE stamps. Shoot an email and see if your state has been claimed yet http://engineerboards.com/index.php?/topic/26660-new-giveway-from-pe-stamps/#comment-7352044

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.