New PEs... what're you focusing on now?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vermonter

Reaction score
I just passed the electrical PE exam in VT. I'm wondering what everyone is focusing on next?

More certifications? New job search? Retirement?

I'm focusing on my family. 1yr old, 3 yr old. I got my MBA, two six sigma certs, and a PE license in the last two years. Tired and want to spend quality time with the youngins. Maybe I'll get in some fishing time as well.

+1. My fiancé and I are looking to move and expand our family (after the wedding). I thought I wanted to pursue an MBA right after, but I have been so career-focused lately (PE, promotions, business trips, etc.). Time to focus on the personal life a bit.

I'm focusing on my family. 1yr old, 3 yr old. I got my MBA, two six sigma certs, and a PE license in the last two years. Tired and want to spend quality time with the youngins. Maybe I'll get in some fishing time as well.
great to hear. you certainly deserve it. Best of luck!

After passing the PE three years ago, I started a new job, started the PMP process, and an MBA. Still at the new job, finished the PMP last year, and finishing the MBA in May. I think after that I'm going to sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sat for the PE only to help me get a job after I finish my masters but I'm not sure if it really matters now since I still need to wait 3 years of experience to get the license.

I'm in the consulting industry so LEED is my next goal and I eventually want to get a masters as well but wont focus on that for a bit now. I have been pretty much into the books last two years, EIT first then PE. Now that both are done, I am going to loose my grip on the gas paddle and take things slower, focus a little bit more on work life balance.

I'm in the consulting industry so LEED is my next goal and I eventually want to get a masters as well but wont focus on that for a bit now. I have been pretty much into the books last two years, EIT first then PE. Now that both are done, I am going to loose my grip on the gas paddle and take things slower, focus a little bit more on work life balance.
Yea, life is too short. Gotta stop and look around sometimes.

I am focused on finishing a MBA program and I might possibly also do the PMP. I am on the fence about PMP though because it seems of questionable value to me and not exactly real world....I joined as a member earlier this year and have the feeling it's just a money making organization. I felt that the PE was far more important than the PMP ever would be so went for the PE first and passed. 

I will also be looking into becoming an EUR ING. (European engineer title). I will either do that through the France or possibly through the UK and in which case I would become a chartered engineer prior to that.

I did some program management in my MBA and the whole time I'm thinking "no one has time to do this"... but it has served some well in my company. If you want to manage large projects I would say it is worth it. 

Oh, sorry, I'm not saying that project management isn't worth it but I meant the PMP certification itself. I led many projects in my role at my last employer and was responsible for $60M/year in budget and several hundred employees. Project management and planning are essential to project success. I'm just not convinced that the PMP certification itself is necessarily worthwhile. I felt PE was much more worthwhile first. Now I'm debating if PMP is something I want to do.

I don't know, 60M a year in a fortune 500 for me is not a big deal to manage. If you want to go into project management, there is good money and having a PMP will serve you well. Outside of that field I'm not sure how much value it has. A PE seems to have more presence outside of it's own field, and within.

Yes, which is why I went for the PE first. I'll probably do the PMP just because it can't be too difficult to pass and I don't mind doing PDH. EUR ING is more important for me at this stage though for equivalency. 

Possibly looking at starting my MBA but I will probably go an start working on getting my Water Treatment Operator License in Tennessee. I'm still single so I have plenty of time on my hands.

I have one year left on a MS in Construction Management degree. Also going to be getting LEED and Greenroads certified soon. Will do a MBA once I finish the construction management degree. 

Probably going to be looking for a different job soon too. Not really any room for advancement in my current position. 

I am focused on finishing a MBA program and I might possibly also do the PMP. I am on the fence about PMP though because it seems of questionable value to me and not exactly real world....I joined as a member earlier this year and have the feeling it's just a money making organization. I felt that the PE was far more important than the PMP ever would be so went for the PE first and passed. 

I will also be looking into becoming an EUR ING. (European engineer title). I will either do that through the France or possibly through the UK and in which case I would become a chartered engineer prior to that.
You can read some of my other posts on this topic. i question its value too (and I have it). What ultimately tipped the scale for me is the way it is viewed in the eyes of HR people and Procurement managers. These types of people are supposed to find employees and consultants, respectively, based on a number of factors. What they really want to do is be able to check a box showing that you can substantiate these things. If the PMP lets me help them check that box, I will play the game, but in reality I think there is very little actual benefit. If you ever work on federal contracts the PMP is often time weighted more heavily than success on previous projects because it is easier for them to objectively check a box.

At about $500 to take the test and requiring you to use an REP (a certification they issue to training vendors for fee) for the education they are making money on all sides of the transaction. And now that they increased the continuing ed they basically guarantee that you will have to spend money with an REP to maintain the cert.

Focusing on family first.  They sacrificed so much while I prepared for the exam. 

Focusing on rest second.  The credential is worthless if I'm burnt out and can't perform daily. 

This spring, I'm hoping to work on that golf swing.  I love to play, but never had time to develop a respectable game.

Back